Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
If you have an air pump laying around you can use that .
That's perfect, I've got one from my old tank. Thanks again

Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #152

I've started my aquascape today all the rocks are in the tank and in place, I'm about to top up on the sand now.

As soon as I mix my saltwater up(will be mixing it in the tank), can I start my cycle?

I'll be buying some live rock next weekend so that should speed it along also.

Any thoughts?

Here's my aquascape.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice cave!

You have nice flat rocks. How about making tent /|\ 3-4 pieces standing up and meeting at top than place 2 rocks flat on top to create a overhang. Sand will keep them from moving.
Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heera
Nice cave!

You have nice flat rocks. How about making tent /|\ 3-4 pieces standing up and meeting at top than place 2 rocks flat on top to create a overhang. Sand will keep them from moving.
Just a thought.
Thanks

I've tried so many ideas I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to knock it down because I didn't like it, I kinda had enough and thought I'd make something half decent and keep it that way otherwise i'd never finish this tank lol. Thanks for the idea anyway.

Here's a few pics with lights on.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Regular

very nice keep it coming
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #156

Little update: still waiting for more ro water to be produced, hopefully have the tank full by tonight, is there a reason why my tank water stinks? Is it from the rocks?
If I succeed in filling the tank I'm gonna mix in the salt and once it's at the right levels will be starting my cycle, gonna be using pure ammonia for that. Will I be better off waiting til the weekend when I get some live rock? Or does it not matter? Also should I run my skimmer during the cycle? If read mixed opinions on that.
I'm gonna be having a refugium in the sump which will be live rock rubble (maybe a small sand bed) and some macro algae or cheato (is there any difference in the two?), and should I pick this up on the weekend also or should I wait until the cycle is complete?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #157
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard View Post
Little update: still waiting for more ro water to be produced, hopefully have the tank full by tonight, is there a reason why my tank water stinks? Is it from the rocks?
If I succeed in filling the tank I'm gonna mix in the salt and once it's at the right levels will be starting my cycle, gonna be using pure ammonia for that. Will I be better off waiting til the weekend when I get some live rock? Or does it not matter? Also should I run my skimmer during the cycle? If read mixed opinions on that.
I'm gonna be having a refugium in the sump which will be live rock rubble (maybe a small sand bed) and some macro algae or cheato (is there any difference in the two?), and should I pick this up on the weekend also or should I wait until the cycle is complete?
if it's going to be a quick cycle run the skimmer right at the start. it needs a break in period anyways. if you're doing 100% dry rock and a dead shrimp/ammonia I'd leave it alone for a few weeks since the cycle could take a month.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteGTI

if it's going to be a quick cycle run the skimmer right at the start. it needs a break in period anyways. if you're doing 100% dry rock and a dead shrimp/ammonia I'd leave it alone for a few weeks since the cycle could take a month.
Ok thanks, i think i will run the skimmer then since its brand new and will need to break in.
I'm hoping it's going to be a kind of quick cycle, I'm gonna pick up some live rock this weekend to help speed things along, some for the dt and some for the sump.
Should I get some macro algae this weekend or is it best to wait til the cycle is complete?
And thanks for the reply.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I would hold off on the macro as it may compete against bacteria for food, once you start seeing nitrates is when I would add it.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
I would hold off on the macro as it may compete against bacteria for food, once you start seeing nitrates is when I would add it.
Ok perfect, thank you

Tags
90g reef, reef, reef ready, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com