Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #161

Quick video for you guys! Got the tank filled, finally! Have everything running except the skimmer, gonna turn it on tomorrow when I have daylight just incase something goes wrong lol. Will also add salt tomorrow and when it's at the correct levels, start my cycle

so here's the video for anyone who's reading, I'm very happy with it all so far but don't hesitate to burst my bubble if you see something that can be improved.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Tank looks awesome, I like the rockscape. I would consider adding a few pieces of that flat shale looking rock and putting ontop of the round rock on the left to tie it all in. The round smooth rock kinda sticks out beside the jagged mound. That's just my two cents but it boils down to "it's your tank, scape how YOU like it" I do wish I had all the fancy electronics like you have. Once my basement is reno'd and I get my 75g RR I'll get all the fancy toys.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Tank looks awesome, I like the rockscape. I would consider adding a few pieces of that flat shale looking rock and putting ontop of the round rock on the left to tie it all in. The round smooth rock kinda sticks out beside the jagged mound. That's just my two cents but it boils down to "it's your tank, scape how YOU like it" I do wish I had all the fancy electronics like you have. Once my basement is reno'd and I get my 75g RR I'll get all the fancy toys.
Thank you, and I see what your saying, sounds like a gd idea, I might see if I can make an arch so it's all joined together.
I'm going to the Lfs for live rock on the weekend so I'll see what shapes and sizes they have.
And the electronics, what can i say,
I'm a big kid, if it flashes or lights up, I want it, not good when you build gambling machines for a living tho haha.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #164

Quick update for anyone who's following, added about 20lbs of live rock on Saturday also picked up some salifert test kits, just the basics for now ammonia, nitrite and nitrate I need to pick up a test kit for ph as well, anyway, a few hours later I added some pure ammonia to start the cycle, tested half hour later, ammonia was at 1.5.

Found my first hitchhiker on Saturday night, looks like a crab, I have a thread on here with pics, and also found what looks like another crab in a different piece of live rock, they'll be going in the sump when I catch them.

So tested my water today, thought I'd test them all just to see where it's all at, this is what I got, (ammonia was at 1.5 on Saturday)

S.g 1.024
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 5

I'll add pics of the test results, am I reading them right? And does this sound right? Been a while since I cycled a tank.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #165
Aquarium Advice Regular

if you don't mine i am going to subscribe to your build . i am working on a 90 myself and reading your thread has helped me a lot . thanks and keep up the good work
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dog_fletcher
if you don't mine i am going to subscribe to your build . i am working on a 90 myself and reading your thread has helped me a lot . thanks and keep up the good work
Of course not, maybe we can help each other along the way so the more the merrier, I'm new to all this so any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Being that you got live rock the cycle will likely be quicker than if you had gotten base rock. Was the rock cured before you got it cause that helps alot also. I personally got cured rock for my tank and didn't have a cycle at all. From your results I suspect your cycle will be over in a very short time like a day or two. Test daily and keep dosing ammonia and when it goes from 4 ppm to 0 in 24 hours along with reading 0 nitrites and whatever you get for nitrates then your set to add livestock.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Being that you got live rock the cycle will likely be quicker than if you had gotten base rock. Was the rock cured before you got it cause that helps alot also. I personally got cured rock for my tank and didn't have a cycle at all. From your results I suspect your cycle will be over in a very short time like a day or two. Test daily and keep dosing ammonia and when it goes from 4 ppm to 0 in 24 hours along with reading 0 nitrites and whatever you get for nitrates then your set to add livestock.
I've only got about 20lbs of live rock, the rest is base rock, got the live rock to help speed things along, hopefully. Can't wait to be done with the cycle, gonna start working on my stock list soon.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #169

Anyone know why my skimmer is going haywire? I turned it on the first day everything was ok, foam wasn't quite reaching the cup, then looked a few hours later after adding salt and there was foam everywhere, I read that the salt mix could of been the cause so turned the skimmer off for a day to give the salt time to mix properly, so just tried to turn the skimmer on now 3days after mixing the salt and the same thing happens water just rises above the cup along with the foam.

Heres a pic
Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #170
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would adjust the skimmer so the water is as far down the tube as it can go. Then every few days adjust it so the water gets closer to the neck where it will just topple over into the cup. new skimmers can take a week or two to get broken in so just be patient, it will eventually work itself out.

Tags
90g reef, reef, reef ready, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com