Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I would adjust the skimmer so the water is as far down the tube as it can go. Then every few days adjust it so the water gets closer to the neck where it will just topple over into the cup. new skimmers can take a week or two to get broken in so just be patient, it will eventually work itself out.
That's a lot better, i didn't realise I could restrict the flow going into the skimmer lol I tries to turn the dial turns out I have to lift and turn lol. Thank you carey.
Here's where it's at now.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #172

Quick update for you guys, cycle is coming along nicely and quickly which is good
Ammo 0
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 10

The skimmer is working good now, it's already pulled out a bit of dirt, I was turning it off when I went to bed as I didn't trust it after the water and foam explosion lol think I'm gonna leave it on tonight, see how it goes, hopefully I don't wake up to a swimming pool in the front room, lol.

Also ordered some pieces of pipework today to make my durso standpipe (I think thats what its called), should be here by tomorrow with any luck.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #173

So had to cut out my drain pipe last night :/, I'm planning on making a durso standpipe and the drain pipe was flush with the bottom of the tank so had to make it longer so I had a bit of pipe
To fit the standpipe on, only took me an hour to cut it out and have it all cut to the right sizes and then back in the tank so all the effort I put into the plumbing definitely paid off lol.
Im still having a few problems with balancing the water levels out, the return chamber is always getting low, I'm hoping the standpipe will help with this issue.
If anyone has any ideas on this I'm all ears.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Do you have an auto top off? Evaporation could be the cause of low levels in the return chamber. Another possible solution is to dial back the valve on the return line a hair that way the pump is only pumping the volume your drain line from the tank can handle.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Do you have an auto top off? Evaporation could be the cause of low levels in the return chamber. Another possible solution is to dial back the valve on the return line a hair that way the pump is only pumping the volume your drain line from the tank can handle.
No, no auto top off (at the moment) thinking about getting one tho, I'm topping off quite a bit, do you think they are worth the money?

I've been tinkering with the valves on the drain and return line, I'm finding it hard to match the two haha, I thought I had it perfect the other day, was fine for a few hours then come home from work and it was off, but then that could of been from evaporation. Gonna have a play with it all tonight when it's all up and running again.

On another note cycle looks like its doing good, it's eating up 2ppm of ammo in two days, nitrite is near 0 and nitrate is at 10+, hopefully won't be long now.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

Evaporation is likely a big factor, with an ATO it will maintain the same level at all times do you would be able to properly dial in the balance on return and drain. In my opinion an ATO is a godsend and definitely worth the money, having a sump would allow you to use an aqua lifter pump too. It was one of my first investments and looking back I wish I would have done it sooner, manual top offs are a pain especially when I was working out of town. I'll fire ya a pm and discuss more details.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
Evaporation is likely a big factor, with an ATO it will maintain the same level at all times do you would be able to properly dial in the balance on return and drain. In my opinion an ATO is a godsend and definitely worth the money, having a sump would allow you to use an aqua lifter pump too. It was one of my first investments and looking back I wish I would have done it sooner, manual top offs are a pain especially when I was working out of town. I'll fire ya a pm and discuss more details.
Yeah i think your right about evaporation, I haven't even got my Lights on at the moment so evaporation is just gonna increase when they do go on.
I Think you just made my mind up for me, auto top off is a priority now, I have a little space where I think I can have it so that's all good. Thank you for the pm, clears a lot up for me and seems like its a good investment and a quite cheap one too. Thank you. Will update the thread when I purchase one. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem dude, happy to help. When I started my tank I put it off but I soon realized how helpful it would be and bit the bullet and am happy I did.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #179

Hey everyone, been working on my stockist but need a few ideas also, so many fish to choose lol, so far I have on my list,

certain
2x clowns (maybe one black n white)
1x yellow watchman
Cleaner shrimp

Maybe's?
1x kole eye tang ( any ideas for a replacement)
Copper-banded butterfly (I'm working towards gettin a mandarin, I've heard these compete with each other for the same food? Is this true?)

Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clowns are must have lol, other than that here are my thoughts. Copperbands eat aiptasia and from what I have heard they are finicky- eating prepared foods fine then just decide to not eat them anymore. Kole tangs are awesome but like other tangs are sensitive and ich prone, I opted to get a fox face instead but that's just me and fox face are algae grazers also.

Tags
90g reef, reef, reef ready, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com