New 90g reef ready tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr_X said:
Don't use silicone caulk. Use silicone lubricant. The lubricant won't cure.

Good timing lol, was just about to use it. I'll have to order some silicone lubricant later, gonna see if they'll be water tight without the silicone first could save me some pennies.

Had a bit of a set back on the tank, I had a brain dead moment a few weeks ago I think and forgot to clean the sand before I put it in the tank! :banghead: gonna clean it all tonight.

Also do I need to put a ball valve on my return line?

I don't know about that pump, but I would probably want a ball valve on the return just in case I wanted to turn the flow down a bit. I can't remember what those built in overflows are rated for. It's a 1" drain, correct? I'm not sure if that can handle a roughly 1200gph pump.

mr_X said:
I don't know about that pump, but I would probably want a ball valve on the return just in case I wanted to turn the flow down a bit. I can't remember what those built in overflows are rated for. It's a 1" drain, correct? I'm not sure if that can handle a roughly 1200gph pump.

Yeah that's right the drain is 1", that's what I was a bit wary of I thought it might be a bit too much, I have a ball valve here so I'll try install that today, can I just glue it like I did with the pipework?

If it's the slip type, yes. If it has threads, you'll need to glue in 2 threaded male ends and use some teflon tape to attach it.

mr_X said:
If it's the slip type, yes. If it has threads, you'll need to glue in 2 threaded male ends and use some teflon tape to attach it.

Yeah it's the slip type, so that's perfect. Thanks mr x. Gonna start filling the tank up this weekend if all goes to plan, I've got 68lbs of base rock so gonna pick up some more this weekend 2.

Been working on my scape today, let me know what you think, advice and criticism welcome.

Looking at the column on the right now I'm not sure I like it, might have to try change that.

Rock looks good but I personally would move the flat piece on the right that's up top down to the bottom as a base.

kdpuffer said:
Rock looks good but I personally would move the flat piece on the right that's up top down to the bottom as a base.

Yeah I see what your saying, that flat piece up top don't look very stable in the pics either haha. I think I'm gonna have to buy some more rock aswell, the rockwork just isn't high enough in my tank.

Hiya all, just wondering can I use ocean rock in my tank? And will it become live?
I was gonna use it for a cichlid tank before I decided to go saltwater. I'll post some pics of it.

mrwizard said:
Hiya all, just wondering can I use ocean rock in my tank? And will it become live?
I was gonna use it for a cichlid tank before I decided to go saltwater. I'll post some pics of it.

You most certainly can use it, just give it a good rinsing first. It will become live and I would recommend getting a little bit of live rock to seed it with.

kdpuffer said:
You most certainly can use it, just give it a good rinsing first. It will become live and I would recommend getting a little bit of live rock to seed it with.

That's perfect, saves me some pennies lol. And yeah was gonna get quite a bit of live rock to seed it with. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom