Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer

Alright, I just saw two pipes and assumed. It's looking good.
Lol yeah I can see why u thought it tho, hopefully get the return pipe in later. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #82

I've asked before I know but could I get away without adding the small strip of glass on to my second baffle, I'll add a pic of the sump again now, it's just the first baffle is raised but the next two are the same height, will it be ok as it is? Or do i have to add the extra piece? They sent me 2 extra pieces of glass but not sure what they are for. I'll attach a pic of them 2.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #83
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You have it backwards. the first partition does nothing being raised. You want a bubble trap before the return. I have no idea what that angle cut piece is for.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
You have it backwards. the first partition does nothing being raised. You want a bubble trap before the return. I have no idea what that angle cut piece is for.
Lol no wonder I was confused haha, so if I turn the sump around I'm good to go?
I couldn't figure out the angled piece either.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #85
AA Team Emeritus

Well, run your return pump and see if those 2 partitions at the end will stop the bubbles from returning to the DT. If you are still getting bubbles, you may want to add another partition or two. ....And yes, basically just turn it around, as long as the intake section is large enough to hold your skimmer. What size is that area?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #86

Quote:
Well, run your return pump and see if those 2 partitions at the end will stop the bubbles from returning to the DT. If you are still getting bubbles, you may want to add another partition or two. ....And yes, basically just turn it around, as long as the intake section is large enough to hold your skimmer. What size is that area?
Well I've turned the sump around and put my back out at the same time, heard a click and that was me on the floor for 5mins in agony lol. the first chamber is just under 6 inches my skimmer is just under 7 but was planning on hanging it on the side of the sump rather than in it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #87
AA Team Emeritus

You are putting a HOB skimmer on a 90? I would rethink that before filling the sump up.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #88

Quote:
You are putting a HOB skimmer on a 90? I would rethink that before filling the sump up.
Yeah i was planning on it but hanging it on the sump instead of the tank, the skimmer won't fit in the sump unless I move the first baffle over an inch, do you think it'll be worth moving the baffle then? This is how I was going to have it.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #89
AA Team Emeritus

That doesn't look like it's going to handle a 90+ gallon tank, was my point. The best benefit of a sump is that you'll be able to purchase a larger, more efficient skimmer for the tank. Without that benefit, I don't see why you would waste the time implementing it.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #90

Quote:
That doesn't look like it's going to handle a 90+ gallon tank, was my point. The best benefit of a sump is that you'll be able to purchase a larger, more efficient skimmer for the tank. Without that benefit, I don't see why you would waste the time implementing it.
So I'll need a better skimmer? This one is rated for tanks upto 1500litre, just under 4x my tank volume.

Tags
90g reef, reef, reef ready, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com