New 90G Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today is the day! I just finished prepping for the new 90g to replace my 75g which is old and scratched. Additionally, the 90g has the mega flow. I have never had a sump, so I am a bit nervous hence I am up this late preparing and double checking so the transition goes smooth and quickly. :roll:

The DIY sump/fuge and plumbing seemed to check out when I wet tested it tonight with the pump. I have 45 gallons of new water mixed and ready to go to fill the sump and make up the difference. The buckets/tubs are staged for the tear down of the 75g later this AM.

On a sad note I will be taking in my Orange shoulder and yellow tang in to the LFS as I realize even with a 90g there is not enough room and the PBT is my primary focus. They are going to give me a decent price though. I hope they find a good big home.

My plan is to get up early (wait it is early :) ) and tear down the 75g putting everything in tubs with PH and filters while saving as much water as possible minus what I siphon the substrate.

My brother is then coming over at 9:00 AM so we can go pick up the tank (big sale today) which is on hold. Then set it all back up and introduce the remaining fish to their new home. If all goes well it should be up and running by 1:00 PM and the fish in their new home by 3:00PM or so once the water is fairly clear. I have previously moved the 75g in this manner before and it went pretty smooth. Of course I was not adding a sump/fuge.

I better go get a few Zs now.

Wish me luck,

Good luck. It is a huge PITA but well worth it once it is done. I say 8-10hrs. Your plan sounds good. I do hope you already have some new SW aging and ready to go.

Yes, I had 45 gallons SW pre mixed and ready to go, I hope it is enough :roll: . Small change of plans I decided not to drain the 75g until I get home with the new tank. I just removed about 90% of LR and caught the YT and Orange shoulder :( for their trip to the LFS. I also toped the tank off with some of the new SW to replace what I put in with LR, and allow it to mix with existing.

This way the rest of the fish can stay in the 75g until I return. Hopefullly less stress this way.

Just waiting on my brither now.

Mission complete! 8)

The new tank is up and running. The sump/fuge works as planned. As of 8:30PM all fish are in their new home and seem to be doing fine. Water is a bit cloudy yet, but clearing up fast. Still running the aged 350 cansiter for a week or so to give the sump and fuge time to build up a good bio load.

Only issue right now is the sump is a bit loud. I bought the All Glass Mega flow tank with my DIY sump/ fuge. The drain line is producing bubbles in the sump. It did not do this at first, and only started after several power downs as I made adjustments throughout the day.

The hose is a bit long and may be causing the problem, or I may need to play around with the height of the drain tube. Nothing too annoying yet, just loader than I would like.

The PBT seems to be doing great as it is already out grazing. It should have plenty of room now for a while as I took the Orange Shoulder and yellow tang to the LFS with me when I picked up the tank.

I took pics through the process and I will get some posted in time once I get the new camera hooked up. Only had it for two weeks now. Oh yeah, I had better things to do like buy a new tank. :)

Thanks for all the encouragement,

afilter, i have the same 90gal setup. Do you have any pictures of your sump area. I am still in the process of setup even though i have been running for about 3 months now.

My current setup is a 90gal overflow, 29gal sump with three sections, ASM g3 protein skimmer in sec 1, Checkvalve overflow into sec 2 and return pump in sec 3. no bio balls, no media. Tank looks great except very little cyno breakout.

Any suggestions?

90_berlin_joe.

Here is the link I used to build my sump/fuge:

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

The glass looks exact except I only used a 30g tank.

Chamber one:
Drain hose at the bottom, a layer of bio ball, a layer of filter media, and a layer of carbon in a poly bag all seperated by egg crate.

Chamber two:
1 Heater and CPR BAK PAK2 filter/skimmer hanging on side

Chamber three:
Baffle system with 1 heater

Chamber four:
Return pump

Chamber five:
Refugium with 3"+ sand bed, small amount of rubble and grape clapura.

I meant to take step by step pics during setup, but I got busy and it did not happen. :) I will try to get some pics tonight, but it is partially blocked because of the stand.

This was my first ever sump and so far it seems to be working as planned. As you can see by the pic I left my canister filter on for now until the sump and additionaly LR get established.

HTH,

Here is the Sump/fuge:

Attachments

• sump_167.jpg
    sump_167.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 68
  • sump1_101.jpg
    sump1_101.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 61
  • sump2_647.jpg
    sump2_647.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 56