Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2005, 03:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New 90G Tank!

Today is the day! I just finished prepping for the new 90g to replace my 75g which is old and scratched. Additionally, the 90g has the mega flow. I have never had a sump, so I am a bit nervous hence I am up this late preparing and double checking so the transition goes smooth and quickly.

The DIY sump/fuge and plumbing seemed to check out when I wet tested it tonight with the pump. I have 45 gallons of new water mixed and ready to go to fill the sump and make up the difference. The buckets/tubs are staged for the tear down of the 75g later this AM.

On a sad note I will be taking in my Orange shoulder and yellow tang in to the LFS as I realize even with a 90g there is not enough room and the PBT is my primary focus. They are going to give me a decent price though. I hope they find a good big home.

My plan is to get up early (wait it is early ) and tear down the 75g putting everything in tubs with PH and filters while saving as much water as possible minus what I siphon the substrate.

My brother is then coming over at 9:00 AM so we can go pick up the tank (big sale today) which is on hold. Then set it all back up and introduce the remaining fish to their new home. If all goes well it should be up and running by 1:00 PM and the fish in their new home by 3:00PM or so once the water is fairly clear. I have previously moved the 75g in this manner before and it went pretty smooth. Of course I was not adding a sump/fuge.

I better go get a few Zs now.

Wish me luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Good luck!

28 Gallon Bowfront, 20 lbs live sand, 31 lbs of Fiji Live rock, 1 metallic green/maroon Brain Coral, Trachyphyllia , 1 5" rock with green Star Polyps...1 Bicolor Blenny, 1 Flame Angel, 3 Astrae snails, 2 Nassarius snails, 1 Bumblebee snail, 1 Electric Blue Hermit, 1 Emerald Crab, 1 Sand Sifting Star, 1 Cerith Snail
buvaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck. It is a huge PITA but well worth it once it is done. I say 8-10hrs. Your plan sounds good. I do hope you already have some new SW aging and ready to go.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I had 45 gallons SW pre mixed and ready to go, I hope it is enough . Small change of plans I decided not to drain the 75g until I get home with the new tank. I just removed about 90% of LR and caught the YT and Orange shoulder for their trip to the LFS. I also toped the tank off with some of the new SW to replace what I put in with LR, and allow it to mix with existing.

This way the rest of the fish can stay in the 75g until I return. Hopefullly less stress this way.

Just waiting on my brither now.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hope all goes well for you and the inhabitants...
Old 09-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Good luck. You sound like you have it planned out

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mission complete! 8)

The new tank is up and running. The sump/fuge works as planned. As of 8:30PM all fish are in their new home and seem to be doing fine. Water is a bit cloudy yet, but clearing up fast. Still running the aged 350 cansiter for a week or so to give the sump and fuge time to build up a good bio load.

Only issue right now is the sump is a bit loud. I bought the All Glass Mega flow tank with my DIY sump/ fuge. The drain line is producing bubbles in the sump. It did not do this at first, and only started after several power downs as I made adjustments throughout the day.

The hose is a bit long and may be causing the problem, or I may need to play around with the height of the drain tube. Nothing too annoying yet, just loader than I would like.

The PBT seems to be doing great as it is already out grazing. It should have plenty of room now for a while as I took the Orange Shoulder and yellow tang to the LFS with me when I picked up the tank.

I took pics through the process and I will get some posted in time once I get the new camera hooked up. Only had it for two weeks now. Oh yeah, I had better things to do like buy a new tank.

Thanks for all the encouragement,

Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is an inital pic of the new tank. I have since added more rock:

Old 09-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks good. Do you have any pics of your sump?
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not yet, but I will now that I have the camera figured out.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com