Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
Don't take this the wrong way though, but didn't your suggestions more or less boil down to "start over" also?

lol I suppose i thought it as sort of... a temporary deviation rather than compleatly starting over. But your right, in essence its pretty much starting over, but I think our idea of starting over and a SW newbie's might be different. I know if when I started if someone told me to start over I woulda though 'do they want me to flush my fish???' I sure didnt know stores would buy fish back hehe.

I just dont want to discourage anyone.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

So, to sum it all up...

* Take the damsel and crab back and get some more live rock to help with the filtration.
* Get a protein skimmer (can wait until after new rock is cured IMO)
* Read up on cycling a tank and cycle with uncured rock
* get a test kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph for starters)
* Keep us updated on your water readings
* read some of the "getting Started" posts
* Consider getting Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" (might move that up to step #1)

We'll work with you, but help yourself too. You never want to rely 100% on anyone's advice.

If it makes you feel better, pick out a mentor to work thru some PMs while you get your confidence together. Keep in mind as we try to educate others, we'll convince you to share some of the content of those PM's/Private messages with the everyone when appropriate - but we can do it in a way that you'll be comfortable with.

But yes, it is true that you may have to almost start over. I'm sure it'll feel that way anyway.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You can PM me, I am willing to help.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnate80700
but I think our idea of starting over and a SW newbie's might be different.
And that might have been my fault as I did not mean break the tank down start over just start where the cycle starts. I sure did not want to discourage anyone. I think Ray summed it up pretty good there. You follow those steps and you`ll be doing good. I do agree with the mentor approach as I have several people that do the same with me. There`s alot of good folks on this site that will help.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to newtomarine
I'm sorry for saying I might have come to the wrong place. I know I didn't, but the second reply I got was more of a "you did it the wrong way, now do it this way" kind of thing (at least that is how I took it). It had been a long day and I am a little discouraged by this who process because the person that got me started in SW made it sound so easy. She told me what to buy and how to do it and it would work out perfect. Her's did....mine didn't. That's why I came here. I've been looking at this site for a long time with my freshwater. I never registered until I started having problems with my SW. So, I'm sorry I took the comments the wrong way, I know you guys are just trying to help.
As for the cycling goes, I knew what I had to do, and I did it. I just didn't know that that is what it was called. I took about 5 gallons of water from a friend's SW tank when I started mine up. I did not put anything like food or dead shrimp in there. I didn't know I needed to. Now I do. I need more live rock in my tank, I know. I just didn't want to buy any more stuff for my tank until I got some advice from people who have been there. I buy already cured LR from my LFS so that will be my next move. That and buying a protein skimmer. I am testing my water tonight to get readings for all of you. I'm also reading up on a site a friend posted for me. Thank you all for your support and patience. WE will get me through this.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you can get the cured LR for your tank then that will be good as you might not even see much of a spike as the cured LR will already have the nitrifying bacteria on it. That will be a good start. Just post your water test results and we will go from there. We will make it through this as you say.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #17

Ok...I just tested my water and here are my results. Please let me know what this means and what I can do to make it better if needed.

NH3--0
No2-- <.3mg/l
No3-- < 5 (it wasn't at five, but it wasn't 0 either. there was a slight reading)
PH-- 8.6. This is high even from my last readings. I just did a PWC this past weekend so that might be why it is high. I'm not sure. It usually reads between 8.0 and 8.4.
Salinity is 1.021
temp is kept between 78 and 80 degrees F.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The only thing I see is nitrites. Even though it is not high any ammonia or nitrites are detrimental to your tank. If you could get that cured LR that you was talking about then that would help. The nitrifying bacteria on the cured LR will turn that nitrites into nitrates which is far less lethal. BTW what are your plans for this tank. What type of fish and / if corals are you planning?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #19

I am only planning on FOWLR for now. I only want a few fish right now. I really like the cardinals, clowns, my blenny, and gobies. I'm not sure exactly what I want. Im not sure of what invertebrates to get. That was going to be my next question after we got my tank situation cleared up.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtomarine
I know I didn't, but the second reply I got was more of a "you did it the wrong way, now do it this way" kind of thing (at least that is how I took it).
Sorry if I came across the wrong way. That was definitely not my intention. Those are just some standard questions that get asked of new tanks. Once you lurk around I think you will see it is not meant in a discouraging way. We also see potential problems and like to keep folks informed that problems may arise due to stocking. TRUST my, I love the horseshoe crabs and really, really wanted one, until I saw the shell of one on the wall at my LFS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtomarine
I took about 5 gallons of water from a friend's SW tank when I started mine up.
Now I am starting to sound like the bad guy. Keep in mind there is very little nitrifying bacteria (the beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes), this beneficial bacteria resides in your rock and substrate.
Once your tank becomes mature, you will fond things get a lot easier. The first 3-6months can be very trying, but you have found the right place and the folks will treat you right. They helped me learn very fast.
I agree with Mike, what kind of plans do you have?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com