So, to sum it all up...
* Take the damsel and crab back and get some more live rock to help with the filtration.
* Get a protein skimmer (can wait until after new rock is cured IMO
* Read up on cycling a tank and cycle with uncured rock
* get a test kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and Ph for starters)
* Keep us updated on your water readings
* read some of the "getting Started" posts
* Consider getting Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" (might move that up to step #1)
We'll work with you, but help yourself too. You never want to rely 100% on anyone's advice.
If it makes you feel better, pick out a mentor to work thru some PMs while you get your confidence together. Keep in mind as we try to educate others, we'll convince you to share some of the content of those PM's/Private messages with the everyone when appropriate - but we can do it in a way that you'll be comfortable with.
But yes, it is true that you may have to almost start over. I'm sure it'll feel that way anyway.