Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
new acrylic 90 gallon tank ?

Need some advice! I just purchased a used Clear for Life 90 gal. acrylic tank (4 months old). I have some experience with saltwater but this tank has an overflow box. Help! I don't know anything about the pros and cons of these. I don't want to replumb the tank since the lifetime warranty will be invalid if I drill new holes to change the plumbing to run from the bottom of the tank.

I will still set up a sump/refugium with a protein skimmer. I was planning on buying the same one I bought for my son (ASM G series I think G2 maybe?). Does that sound right?

Any feedback?

I bought the tank with Nova Extreme T5 lighting, stand and 2 250 Stealth heaters included. I'm on my own from there.

fishcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

Hmm, I assume you're talking about it having a HOB style overflow box? And that's the difference from what you're used to? HOB style overflows work basically the same way as an internal overflow, except you need a siphon to get the water from inside to outside. Other than that, the concept is identical. They're very easy to use, just like an internal or a reef-ready tank.

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry, my question wasn't very clear. Yes, my new tank will have a HOB filter. I don't know what brand/type. What happens if I shut off the pump or lose power? I assume you lose the siphon. How do you restart the siphon? I know these are DUH questions but I haven't had a tank like this before. I pick it up on Friday. I am going to take my time setting it up but I want to do it right. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I've never used an HOB filter, but I would tend to think once the power is back on, the pump would suck the water back in.
I'm not sure if you are confusing a filter with an overflow box that goes into a sump/fuge...?
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry - mistype. Overflow box not overflow filter. My oldest son tells me that he thinks there may be some better overflox boxes than others. None of our tanks have HOB overflow boxes so we have no experience with this. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Apologies for the confusion.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33

The overflow system should have 2 boxes. The one with fingers goes inside the tank with the fingers at water level. the overflow box goes outside and should have two compartments one side is the output to sump the other is for the siphon tube. when the power goes off the siphon tube ends stay under water. If the siphon breaks I use some airline pushed up into the top of the tube's bend to suck out all of the air.

I hope this helps
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Melev's Reef - How to start an overflow box

DIY Overflow Box
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
return pump size ? Main pump for water movement ?

So, I have been reading and reading about HOB overflow systems. It seems that the lifereef system is the way to go for what I want. I will probably buy their double box or buy 2 of the single box and put them at the 2 ends of the tank where the predrilled slots are. It seems that having only 1 box is a bad idea - drain plugs and you have a big flood! The lifereef system seems to get rave review from everyone who uses them. Pricey though!

Now, the question is, what pump is best for the return in the sump? The overflow system will allow for a flow rate of up to 1200 gph from the main tank. Obviously, I don't want to push more water than I drain but I know I'm supposed to have a certain turnover in the sump.

Advice on pump size? Brand? We've bought Mags in the past.

I keep hearing that Tunze in the best pump there is but would that be more for water movement in my main tank? What size pump should I consider for water movement in the main tank? I do have corals (soft).

Thoughts? Advice? Monetary donations from my sons?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a really good one for sale right now for 100 bucks, its a saline solutions hob with the aqua lifter pump and the overflow is rated for 1000 gph.
email me if interested i'm in canada but i'm sure the shipping isn't that much for this overflow it retails for 360 cdn and i only used it for 3 months before i tore my tank down

xtremediesel is offline   Reply With Quote

90 gallon, acrylic, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com