Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give it a month for saftey.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now even if you only used LR to cycle your tank you would endup with some nitrates. You may not have had enough ammonia to account for a meaningful cycle. Sprinkle a little fishfood and let that go a couple of days and test your paramenter again and see if you get any readings. I am mostly concerned wtih you at least having some nitrates to confirm that the process is taking place as it should.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Would it matter if i used freeze dried baby shrimp or will i need to use fresh shrimp? I got the water, LR, and LS from the person i bought the tank from. since it was cycled i thought it would be alright to put fish in given i left enough time for a mini cycle. (I.E. when i got everything it was done cycling but at half a tank full of water.) i've given almost 7 weeks of my personal attention in that it was me that watched over the tank. I didn't get everything that i own with the tank but most of the SW equipment is from it, the tank, skimmer, LR, LS, and stand. everything i bought and paid for and watched over myself.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #14

before i got it. the person that sold me everything said it had been cycling for almost 3 months when he decided to go with a bigger tank.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any sort of fishfood would be okay. If you got a mini cycle you would still have to add stock slowly to allow your bacteria to "catch up" to the "Load". Try a little fishfood...whatever you have on hand...just a little and see if you get a reading of nitrates. If not then it may be okay to add "A" fish or at least your CUC "cleanup crew".
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #16

Lol. ok i was under the assumption that the water perameters should be the same for inverts as well as coral becuase they relied on the same thing? i was hoping to get some snails, some hermits, and mabey a shrimp and clam or somthing.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go easy and pass up the more expensive inverts (like clams) for now. You don't want to lose a lot of moneys worth in a sudden tank crash. Be wary because of the quick cycle. If you have all of them alive in two weeks then keep slowly adding things like fish and corals. Don't add a heap at once! You'll have a crash because of the sudden increase in bio-load and your tank won't be able to cope. One fish every 2-3 weeks is safe IME. Same for corals. Good luck and post pics!

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #18

Alright. I think i'll be getting my first fish at the end of next week or so. Im in the process of getting 3 powerheads (Hopefully!) cause all i have atm is 1 Rio plus 400 was supposed to be 2. I followed some over advice about putting the fish food in the tank to see if something happened with the nitrates and ammonia etc. If anything happened at all the ammonia etc.. if it could even do that. So what now? like i said before i was under the assumption that the less ammonia i had the better?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definatley! 0 ppm ammonia is perfect. 0.5 ppm ammonia won't cause damage but it's not good. Any higher and things will start to die.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what was your readings on the ammonia?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com