New and need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirtbikechick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I just recently joined this site because I've looked at it for advice before and I definitely need some help now! I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank that I had a fun time setting up and it's still running great with plenty of fish. I also have smaller freshwater tanks everywhere inmy house. Recently I started looking around at some saltwater fish stores by my house and got really interested in those kind of tanks. The dealers by me aren't to friendly. I have a 37 gallon tank with a filter and a heater and I need help on how to set it up perfect for a saltwater system. I haven't decided what kind of saltwater like fish only or reef I'd like to know everyone else opinion for a beginner in saltwater. I've been reading alot of books on it but is rather hear it from someone who has experience and can give me some good tips. I'd really appreciate some help! Thanks!

Welcome to the salty side, SW is more of a money drainer then FW. What filter do you have? An if you go with FOWLR then you could save some money of lights. SW is pretty different from FW, more finicky an you have to keep up on water changes, so no slacking haha

Powerheads
Salinity tester
Test kit
Salt
Sand
Rock
Ro/di filter
Egg crate

You put the rock down first, then poor your sand in, add already mixed SW an wait awhile for the sand to settle, fix your equipment in place but don't turn your filter or power head on, but turn the heater on. Sand can tear up a motor fast

I just have a basic filter that came with the tank I think it's a top fin 40, i know it's gonna cost me some to get it all set up but I have the extra cash so I thought why not? Haha anyways I'm up for the challenge of it I just don't know where to start which is bad haha

I just have a basic filter that came with the tank I think it's a top fin 40, i know it's gonna cost me some to get it all set up but I have the extra cash so I thought why not? Haha anyways I'm up for the challenge of it I just don't know where to start which is bad haha

Lol ok then, just making sure you were up for it haha. First I would invest in a Ro/ di filter, this removes any and everything from the water that can cause excess algae growth. I have the bare bones Ro/di. I found it on eBay for around 60-70 and it works great. Next is to buy your salt and you rock. You need a large tub so you can pre mix the water and makes sure the salt dissolves. Full the tank a little more then haft way then add your rock. You can have mostly dry rock with some live to seed it to save money. I went with all dry to avoid nasty hitch hikers. Turn the filter of then place your base pieces of rock then poor your sand in. Wait a few hours to settle then fill the rest of the tank up. Wait a day before you turn the filter in agian, add your power head an equipment an let it run for 3-4 days like that. Then comes cycling

I did the raw shrimp method, you take fresh shrimp an put it in a pice if panty hose so you can dispose if it easily after ward, test daily an it should cycle while the shrimp breaks down as an amniona source

Wow ok that all helped alot haha, ill look into that filter for sure. If I have any other questions do you care if I bother you haha ?

Wow ok that all helped alot haha, ill look into that filter for sure. If I have any other questions do you care if I bother you haha ?

haha then ro:di is a simple one that you screw onto a water hose an have the out put of clean water in a bucket haha, an please ask away on questions, I'm not as experienced as other people on this forum but I'll help the best I can :)

Welcome to the Salt side. Here's some reading that will help you along
Articles

you can get buy without a skimmer BUT you must keep up with the water changes I ran a 90 gal without a skimmer or sump for over a year and never had a problem.

I changed out 10 gallons a week It will all depend on how heavily your stocked and much your feeding. You'll need to test the parameters often until you get used to how fast the nitrAtes build in your system that will be the main factor in the WC's Lightly stocked and a light feeding 2-3 times a week and you could get away with as little as 3-5 gals. a week

Rule of thumb when setting up a new tank is $ 25 per gallon :eek:

I change out 5 for now cause of low bio load, I plan on getting a skimmer though to make water healther

Skimmers do make life easier after i added a sump and skimmer i only had to change 10 gl. a month, it paid for itself in salt savings and my back thanked me too lol

Back
Top Bottom