Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
First, thank you for the advice. The salt water was purchased from LFS. We will try to mix the SW down to correct the salinity as the LFS sells treated fresh as well. The tank we were considering was the Biocube HQI 29g. This comes with lights, filters, and heaters. In recomending the 30g, that entails more of a custom system of lights, filters, and other equipment. Would you have any suggestions as to brands and/or sizes for a 30g. With a tank that size what would be a suitable stand as the weight will be considerable. Thank you for your time.

cherryberrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
The 29 will come with the MH lights by the sounds of it . I would just to an off the shelf 30 gallon tank with a HOT filter and a skimmer , (I have no real recomendations on skimers since I use a HOS , made by aqua c which works well for me on a 10 )Solona puts out a very nice 34 gallon system with lighting as well that is open and would allow for more customizations should you find that you want/need to .... I do speak from experience tho that the bio cubes are hard to fit any thing such as a decient skimmer on because they are closed systems (meaning self contained ) this would allow you more options to add to or get stuff easier if you go with just an ordenary tank ... Temps are a bit harder to maintain with a closed system as well ...
On the salt use RO/DI and a refractometer for checking the SPG the RO/DI will lower the SPG the refractometer is very accurite far more than that of a swing arm hydrometer ... HTH

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
I was so confused with the whole GSP thing for a second there too.

I have heard mixed reviews about the 29 HQI, some say they have no heat issues and some are plagued with them. I would consider some additional fans and exhaust vents if you do get it, and maintaining a constant cooler temperature in the room over the summer.

Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

29 gallon, biocube, corals, oceanic, puffers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com