new and need help plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherryberrie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i'm getting ready to start a new SW tank and i'm thinking about getting the oceanic biocube 29 g, is this a good start tank? i do want some corals. i have 2 GSP. and what corals should i get?

I`m not familiar with that system but corals is up to you. Make sure you do lots of research and read over our SW articles section. There are some very good articles there. BTW welcome to AA.

Yeah, Research. Add as much corals as you want if you have the light to support them along with pristine water conditions. Cycle the tank properly and add fish slowly, Very slowly. Dont go getting tangs and fish that dont belong in such a small environment.
Oh, And research. Do everything right and you'll get a great result in the long run. :)

GSP's require a tranfomation over to salt over months ...will not support corals right away either , it will likely be months before you could and as stated below reef with caution .
They are not known to be reef compatible or done so with extreme caution and will desimate a clean up crew in days... They will get too large for a 29 in short order full size is 4-6 inches not to mention the possibility of toxins that can be relesed into the tank . They are scaleless fish and can injure themselfs on LR so use caution there ... ..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f18/what-kind-of-fish-is-this-130573.html
HTH :D

:) the little guys are in full SW and loving it. i did started it with water & aquarium salt. but decided to cycle out a gallon at a time with SW and now the tank is 1.03 Salinity. i am planning on moving them to a bigger one after the 29g (if they make it that far) but wanted to start with something of a decent size rather than just buy an 8g and want to expand again in a couple days. What would be an accurate timeline for growth in a 29g since our fish are roughly 1.25in and 1in? Also, since yall have posted that the GSP's are scaleless what would be a "softer" coral to try (any recomendations?) or would they be compatible with sea anenomes? As to tank mates... we have considered several but havent decided yet, at least till we expand to the 29g.

Your salinity is at 1.030? If so, To high.. You need to bring it down to 1.025/1.026.

Also, As for a anemone. No no. Sorry to bring the bad news but they need stable conditions, good flow and a powerful light.

Green Spotted Puffer fish
:D
The softer corals will not really matter however they may "chew" on them ...The LR attached to coral can scratch them allowing for infection so do watch that .... they should be fine for a while in the 29 however I would say go with a 30 gallon tank so that you can use a skimmer and "fit" other equipment a bit easier , the 29 would be better suited for a "cookie cutter" style reef... I would say even a couple years but you will need to be the judge of that ... SPG should be at around 1.024-1.025 for these guys ..What kind of salt are you using ?Tank mates no not really it will have to be a species only as they are agressive and will kill off others or damage them.. any tank mates that would be suitable for them would get to large for that size tank and with a 29 you are maxed with the 2 ....yes even at thier size ...
The anenome will not be a good match as pointed out in another post as they can sting them and kill them , not to mention the requirements of the anenome is established tank and high lighting (BC29 has PC) ...
:D

First, thank you for the advice. The salt water was purchased from LFS. We will try to mix the SW down to correct the salinity as the LFS sells treated fresh as well. The tank we were considering was the Biocube HQI 29g. This comes with lights, filters, and heaters. In recomending the 30g, that entails more of a custom system of lights, filters, and other equipment. Would you have any suggestions as to brands and/or sizes for a 30g. With a tank that size what would be a suitable stand as the weight will be considerable. Thank you for your time.

The 29 will come with the MH lights by the sounds of it . I would just to an off the shelf 30 gallon tank with a HOT filter and a skimmer , (I have no real recomendations on skimers since I use a HOS , made by aqua c which works well for me on a 10 )Solona puts out a very nice 34 gallon system with lighting as well that is open and would allow for more customizations should you find that you want/need to .... I do speak from experience tho that the bio cubes are hard to fit any thing such as a decient skimmer on because they are closed systems (meaning self contained ) this would allow you more options to add to or get stuff easier if you go with just an ordenary tank ... Temps are a bit harder to maintain with a closed system as well ...
On the salt use RO/DI and a refractometer for checking the SPG the RO/DI will lower the SPG the refractometer is very accurite far more than that of a swing arm hydrometer ... HTH :D

I was so confused with the whole GSP thing for a second there too.

I have heard mixed reviews about the 29 HQI, some say they have no heat issues and some are plagued with them. I would consider some additional fans and exhaust vents if you do get it, and maintaining a constant cooler temperature in the room over the summer.

Back
Top Bottom