Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red face new and need help plz

i'm getting ready to start a new SW tank and i'm thinking about getting the oceanic biocube 29 g, is this a good start tank? i do want some corals. i have 2 GSP. and what corals should i get?

thanks

Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m not familiar with that system but corals is up to you. Make sure you do lots of research and read over our SW articles section. There are some very good articles there. BTW welcome to AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, Research. Add as much corals as you want if you have the light to support them along with pristine water conditions. Cycle the tank properly and add fish slowly, Very slowly. Dont go getting tangs and fish that dont belong in such a small environment.
Oh, And research. Do everything right and you'll get a great result in the long run.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you
Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

GSP's require a tranfomation over to salt over months ...will not support corals right away either , it will likely be months before you could and as stated below reef with caution .
They are not known to be reef compatible or done so with extreme caution and will desimate a clean up crew in days... They will get too large for a 29 in short order full size is 4-6 inches not to mention the possibility of toxins that can be relesed into the tank . They are scaleless fish and can injure themselfs on LR so use caution there ... ..
What kind of fish is this?
HTH
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

the little guys are in full SW and loving it. i did started it with water & aquarium salt. but decided to cycle out a gallon at a time with SW and now the tank is 1.03 Salinity. i am planning on moving them to a bigger one after the 29g (if they make it that far) but wanted to start with something of a decent size rather than just buy an 8g and want to expand again in a couple days. What would be an accurate timeline for growth in a 29g since our fish are roughly 1.25in and 1in? Also, since yall have posted that the GSP's are scaleless what would be a "softer" coral to try (any recomendations?) or would they be compatible with sea anenomes? As to tank mates... we have considered several but havent decided yet, at least till we expand to the 29g.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your salinity is at 1.030? If so, To high.. You need to bring it down to 1.025/1.026.

Also, As for a anemone. No no. Sorry to bring the bad news but they need stable conditions, good flow and a powerful light.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielynn View Post
Sadie, what GSP's are you talking about? Green star polyps???
Old 07-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green Spotted Puffer fish

The softer corals will not really matter however they may "chew" on them ...The LR attached to coral can scratch them allowing for infection so do watch that .... they should be fine for a while in the 29 however I would say go with a 30 gallon tank so that you can use a skimmer and "fit" other equipment a bit easier , the 29 would be better suited for a "cookie cutter" style reef... I would say even a couple years but you will need to be the judge of that ... SPG should be at around 1.024-1.025 for these guys ..What kind of salt are you using ?Tank mates no not really it will have to be a species only as they are agressive and will kill off others or damage them.. any tank mates that would be suitable for them would get to large for that size tank and with a 29 you are maxed with the 2 ....yes even at thier size ...
The anenome will not be a good match as pointed out in another post as they can sting them and kill them , not to mention the requirements of the anenome is established tank and high lighting (BC29 has PC) ...
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Sadielynn...

Tags
29 gallon, biocube, corals, oceanic, puffers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com