New Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qhrisnd

Aquarium Advice Regular
We were just given an Anemone by my uncle's girlfriend for the holidays, and when we put him in the tank, and set him on the rock, he attaches, and then when we restart the pumps and such, he goes flying around the tank ...

How do we attach him to a rock? or ... what do we do?

Thanks in advance!

There's nothing you can do. Unlike corals, anemones can't just be glued down. They wander around and do their own thing til they find a spot that makes them happy. Be sure any intake tubes (filter, powerheads, skimmer) are covered. They get sucked into them very easily and unless you catch it early, normally they don't live through it. Give it some time, it will attach. Unless there are other issues that would cause it stress. Good luck.

HEED the message about covering intakes!. I made anemone soup after mine started moving around. Good luck.

The intake for our filter has a fish guard screen thing on the end of the tube, and our overflow has a fish guard on it ... but, should I do something else to mark them off?

We bought a "flower pot" coral at our LFS recently ... and added it at the same time we did the Anemone ... and we've noticed something odd ... can anyone give us some idea of what it is?

Both the Anemone and the coral seem to secrete a brownish fluid once in a while. Not a lot, but I've seen it happen 3 times now.

What is it?

They may be expelling thier zooxanthellae due to stress or could just be passing wastes.

You can also use a course filter bag over the intakes. I also heard of somebody using nylon stockings, but I would imagine they would clog fast.

Anemone flesh is very soft and very delicate. It doesn't take much.

Our Anemone has made his way to the back of the tank, on the sand bed, behind some LR ... so I'm not too worried about running out to do that right this second :)

But tomorrow morning for sure.

The anemone died ... hiding behind a rock :( . Our flower pot coral is doing beautifully though.

his bottom half (the base) was split into two pieces (looked almost like a clean slice as though cut with a knife) and the tentacles were falling off.

Back
Top Bottom