New aquarist....is that correct? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keepmefromdrowning36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I have had my FOWLR tank running since this past Sunday. I guess I'm cycling but I have no fish in the tank(some sites say wait some say you need fish to create ammonia to begin the cycle) my live rock doesn't seem to be growing anything as fast as I expected. I have done numerous tests but nothing is wrong. No cloudy water like I was told would happen. No signs of ammonia spikes. My nitrite was high last night .50ppm. Is something wrong or am I impatient. Thanks for reading please help. :confused:

You need an ammonia source. Toss a raw cocktail shrimp in the tank. Let it rot away. You'll have an excellent bacteria colony in no time.
What do you think is going to grow on rock in a week?

Well one rock has substantial growth and the stuff was handed down to me so I don't know if its good rock(I read something about uncured rock) like I said I'm very green at this. But thanks I'll throw a raw shrimp in I guess and give it a go. It just seems like my cycle had not started yet. Thanks for your reply

How much rock do you have and what size tank is this? The shrimp will rot away, and you'll definitely see an ammonia spike. then nitrite, then nitrate, then do a water change. Don't worry about anything growing until after the water change.

I was told it was a 30gal which I'm guessing is 29.ii did not weigh the rock but was told its 40lbs. My tank is taller than most I've seen. 24x24x12. Looks like more than enough rock. I'll let you know how the shrimp goes.

Back
Top Bottom