New Aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuktothewall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting a 75 gal reef aquarium. I am curious about the lighting needed. I'm thinking about Coralife Aqualight Compact Fluorescent 2x54w 10000K and 2x54 actinic fixture be adequate for a tank this size? I really want to have some coral but am very intimidated by the idea. I had a 30 gal fowlr, moved, and am now starting a bigger tank. Also, it came with a Rena Filstar xP2 canister filter, anyone know anything about it, worth keeping or get a new one?

Rena filters are usually recommened around here a lot, but with a reef, live rock would be your main source of filtration. You could fill the cannister with live rock rubble, but it is up to you. Don't know of any 54w PC bulbs, so I guess you mean T5. If you do mean PC, then go with T5 as it is far better than PC due to better PAR and penetration than PC. T5 also runs cooler and more efficient than PC. Might recommend the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 6x54w T5 HO fixture. It has three actinic bulbs and 3 10k bulbs.

That is the one I have been leaning toward, but my wife isn't too pleased with the price. There are a couple others i have had my eye on though. Would 2x54 12K and 2x54 actinic be enough for soft corals? I'm trying to make an attempt at being $$ conscious (for the wife's sake haha).

A 4x54w fixture would be enough for soft coral, LPS, and maybe some of the SPS. I would just show her the cost of a metal halide setup and she might not complain about the price of the NEP. :)

As far as the lighting I think you are borderline at best. I too would check out the T5HO lighting system. I`m just afraid you`ll not experience real growth with that lighting. JMO

Back
Top Bottom