New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GramCracker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. Sorry for the cross post, but I was told that this would be a better section to post this up in!

So I recently came home from college from a birthday dinner and found a small salt water aquarium in my room. Needless to say I was quite excited. My sisters friend was getting rid of it so my sister decided to keep it. However she has no idea what she is doing (neither do I really). So I've decided to take care of it. The only thing in it is a single clown fish.

Basically I'm a gigantic noob when it comes to having a salt water aquarium. What I do know is that it takes a fair amount of work to keep the thing alive and running correctly. Which is why I'm here. I need a lot of help making sure that things are OK with the tank. Feel free to learn me good and point me in the direction of things I will need to buy for the tank as well as places I can read up about owning a salt water aquarium.

Here's the tank:
img_1083713_0_f124b79336aededfb8332131b4dce18d.jpg

And it's primary resident (aside from some snails):
img_1083713_1_ad1f60c5cd15341733add62aee1bc5b8.jpg

Please help me keep this thing alive and turn it into a pretty sweet little aquarium!

UPDATE: I bought a thermometer and a hydrometer today. The water temp was at 82 and once I learned that I got it down to around 78. The hydrometer said the water was at a 1.021 (if I recall correctly).

I'm going to change the water and sand out very soon.

SG of 1.021 is fine if that is accurate. Do you know how big that tank is? Kinda looks like an Eclipse 12 gallon tank.

You want to use distilled or RODI water for topping off between water changes. Water changes should be 10%/week for that size tank with aged SW (mix it a day before).

Thanks!

SG of 1.021 is fine if that is accurate. Do you know how big that tank is? Kinda looks like an Eclipse 12 gallon tank.

You want to use distilled or RODI water for topping off between water changes. Water changes should be 10%/week for that size tank with aged SW (mix it a day before).

Yea it's a small eclipse tank, probably 12 gallons.

Thanks for the help!

Why do you want to change the sand? Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't mess with the sand. You'll stir up gasses underneath

So, Im guessing that this tank hasnt been cycled yet. Since it seems that it was just set up. Have you researched this?

Read the New Tank Setup List (Getting started thread) and the Articles

There's no problem replacing the substrate as long as you do it slowly and in sections. No more than a third of it per week as that where most of the beneficial bacteria live. You will also have some in the filter pad in the hood, but that keeps getting replaced,

Back
Top Bottom