New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I've got an empty 5 gal and I'd love to do something other than a little shrimp / snail tank. Does anybody have suggestions on a possible fish or a possible school of nano fish that could fit in there?

I cant think of a fish that would do good in a 5 gallon tank. Maybe a invert like a shrimp or a crab.

Someone suggested 4 dwarf seahorses. So there are some. I want something other than shrimp! Lol. I appreciate your input though.

I know there's a long list of fish that don't get bigger than an inch. But are they 5 gallon suitable?

Check out my finnex 4 gallon shrimp tank with some neons and snails. Go to YouTube and search NYREPS

I'm sorry, I mean if this were a saltwater aquarium. I did post this in saltwater right?

:) nope if I wanted freshwater ideas id have posted this elsewhere. But I appreciate all ideas :) any more? I know that there's a number of little gobies thatonly get 1 inch or even .75 inches. Would that work or are they too active? Or would they just be unhappy on their own?

Seahorses are not for the beginning SW aquarist to care for. I advise against them

There are some fish I could suggest, but only after this moves forward and get stable and stays that way.

Maybe some sexy anemone shrimp?

I LOVE sexy shrimp. They were out the other day when I went to get some. :-( But that's a great creature for a small tank.

A pico is a lot more work, but as long as the new aquarist knows this and understands the responsibility involved will help them to succeed as they could easily learn enough about marine husbandry to keep some of the hardier specimens in the future. Although they must be dedicated to something they are new to which I believe to be the main component of failure, all aquariums take work. If the hobby seems like more work than fun, well you can see why it would cause an issue especially when a pico reef is so demanding.

can you have sexy shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the same tank?

What's a pico reef?

Ill google sexy shrimp. And I can understand about the seahorses.

you can try small gobi like this or you can go with this small gobie

I would only recommend one and I've seen it done before- but 5G is small so I would also recommend doing a 1g water change at least every 2 to 3 days

A pico is a really small marine tank. You are bordering on the large end of it, still the larger the tank the easier it is to manage. The amount of water that you lose from evaporation will affect salinity, where as a fifty gallon would barely notice the loss. Other unwanteds are able to get to toxic levels quicker as well. A pico simply foesn't have the volume to diffuse like a larger tank

you can try small gobi like this or you can go with this small gobie

I would only recommend one and I've seen it done before- but 5G is small so I would also recommend doing a 1g water change at least every 2 to 3 days

I was gonna suggest a red-striped or red-spotted, but those are good as well. Though like I said earlier I'd want to see you keep this thing stable for a while before adding fish

Keep in mind if you like the catalina they are colder water fish

I really appreciate it guys. :) do you think some corals would grow in it?

If you have a good enough light, this is the Finnex 4G right? If you got the kit with the light it'll be good for some softies and maybe some LPS

Back
Top Bottom