New Aquarium live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just purchased my first saltwater aquarium. Needless to say I jumped in head first. (500 gallon) Is it a problem if I just start off with 200-300 Lbs of live rock and add more in stages or do I need to start with the 700-800 Lbs I am being told I need? Also what light requirements do I need? I was told 6 watts per gallon for coral but if I just have rock what can I get by with.
I purchased the sump system today and plan on getting the skimmer and UV sanitizer next week.
Any help would be appreciated.

I thought I jumped head first with my 150 Gal. That should be one awesome tank. Sorry, no info. I am learning myself. Just had to chime in.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
the more LR you can add at the begining, the better. Strating with 300-400lbs will be just fine. You can add more as needed. 6watts/gal of lighting is pretty good. it does depend on the type of lighting you have and the corals you want to keep. Sounds like a nice set-up, post some pics when you get a chance.

How many watts per gallon of light can I get away with if I have no coral and just live rock and fish? Some of the fish I want to start with are not coral safe.

If it's just fowlr then it's up to you the light is for your pleasure. I started my FOWLR with 1 watt/gallon (Thats what it came with) now I have 2 watts/gallon much nicer. As to the rock question I would save lots of money get the rest in BR. check out www.hirocks.com
It lacks the color that LR has but it will become LR in your tank. The algaes take a couple of months to establish themselves.

That is what I call jumping in the right way!

Yea, with both feet.

Welcome to AA and you have got to post some pictures so we can drool over them.

*walks into other room to look at pitiful 150 gal tank*

Back
Top Bottom