new aquarium owner needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesja1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just inherited a 150 gallon aquarium from some relatives. they have kinda neglected it for the last year or so. they emptied it out and now i have this dirty thing! so the first thing i do is get some cleaner and scrub like no tomorrow. well people are telling me i ruined it - and now by getting on-line for advice - i see i looked a bit too late! what can i do to fix what i have done? thanks

What kind of cleaner did you use on it? I really don't think you have ruined the tank...the only thing in there that could absorb anything is the silicone. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that you have to cut off the silicone inside the tank and run a new bead on top of it. What kind of tank do you want to have? Since you posted in the SW forum, I am guessing you're going to work toward a SW tank. The most important advice I can give you...no matter what kind of tank you decide on...is to research and then research some more before you buy anything. Depending on what kind of cleaner you used, you may be able to fill the tank with a water/bleach mix and throw in a powerhead for a few days.
Logan J
PS: Don't hesitate to ask ANY questions you have and please don't take anything the LFS (local fish store) tells you as gospel.

Wow, thats a tough one. Im not sure but bleach or vinegar might be able to remove the cleaner, but Im not sure. Does anyone else have some suggestions?

i am worried about the contamination from the cleaners i used. i first used CLR to clean the tank b/c there was alot of hardwater buildup along the top. then i used a lysol cleaner. i am new at the whole fish tank thing - can you tell!

someone i know did tell me to use a light bleach solution and rinse it out really good. i have not done this yet.

it is a glass aquarium and i intend to start with freshwater fish.

i appreciate everyones help.

What is CLR?

Really I would not use anything that was soapy but if you have dont this already then I would move toward a cleanup phase and try to get rid of any soap residue that might exist.

If you use white vinegar and rub the inside of the tank down real well as well as a mix of bleach and water and then rinsing it out plenty of times this should get you back to a very clean tank.

What is CLR?
Calcium, Lime, and Rust remover. Pretty powerful stuff. It will take a corroded shower head and make it like new in about a minute of soaking. This may have absorbed into the silicone.

Don't let the vinegar and bleach come in contact with each other! Acid and bleach don't play well together. Rinse one out thoroughly before using the other.
I don't think your hopeless. Get it cleaned out and give it a go.

I think you will be ok. Just fill the tank with warm fresh water and add a few powerheads for circulation, and let it stand like this for about a week. Empty the tank and refill it with a strong salt-water solution and let it stand for another week with the power heads running.

Then empty the tank and rinse it well with fresh water. Set up your system as normal, add a few low cost fish and monitor their health for a few weeks. If they look ok, then go for your full tank setup as you normally would.

I did the same thing back in my early days as an aquarium hobbyist, and after rinsing and soaking the tank as described above, all was fine.

Hi jonesja1,

IMO, I wouldn't worry about the CLR, I am familiar with that stuff, it should be OK.
Yes, it is used to remove Calcium, Lime and Rust, hence the name CLR but it isn't as nasty as it sounds.
http://www.shoppingspreez.com/Home-and-Family/Cleaning/Cleaning-Products/s_44158.html
Removes calcium deposits from glassware, decanters and tea or coffee pots. Instantly removes lime scales from coffeemakers...
If they claim it is safe for glassware, decanters and tea or coffee pots, then I would ASSUME that it isn't toxic. {Too easy to get sued when your customers start dropping dead.}

The LYSOL product is what you need to worry about. I have no experience with that, so I'll let some of our resident experts help you out.

I like the bleach scrubdown followed by a VERY thorough rinse. Then, I'd fill it up with water, add a couple of gallons of white vinegar, and let it run for a week or so with some powerheads to generate current.
Logan J

Powerhead = small pump that is placed in the tank to provide water current. I am sure you have seen them in tanks or at the LFS.

They usually pump between 50-300GPH and have suctioncup mounts to hold them aganst the glass.

thanks again for all of your help. once the weather gets warmer i will begin cleaning this again. i will let you know how i do. then i am sure i will be back for more help - but i will go to the freshwater section!!

Back
Top Bottom