Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new aquarium owner needs help

i just inherited a 150 gallon aquarium from some relatives. they have kinda neglected it for the last year or so. they emptied it out and now i have this dirty thing! so the first thing i do is get some cleaner and scrub like no tomorrow. well people are telling me i ruined it - and now by getting on-line for advice - i see i looked a bit too late! what can i do to fix what i have done? thanks

Old 03-19-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
What kind of cleaner did you use on it? I really don't think you have ruined the tank...the only thing in there that could absorb anything is the silicone. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that you have to cut off the silicone inside the tank and run a new bead on top of it. What kind of tank do you want to have? Since you posted in the SW forum, I am guessing you're going to work toward a SW tank. The most important advice I can give you...no matter what kind of tank you decide on...is to research and then research some more before you buy anything. Depending on what kind of cleaner you used, you may be able to fill the tank with a water/bleach mix and throw in a powerhead for a few days.
Logan J
PS: Don't hesitate to ask ANY questions you have and please don't take anything the LFS (local fish store) tells you as gospel.

Old 03-19-2003, 12:31 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Wow, thats a tough one. Im not sure but bleach or vinegar might be able to remove the cleaner, but Im not sure. Does anyone else have some suggestions?
Old 03-19-2003, 12:58 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Are you worried about the chemical contamination or did you scratch it with an abrasive cleanser? By 150 gallon I'm thinking glass.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i am worried about the contamination from the cleaners i used. i first used CLR to clean the tank b/c there was alot of hardwater buildup along the top. then i used a lysol cleaner. i am new at the whole fish tank thing - can you tell!

someone i know did tell me to use a light bleach solution and rinse it out really good. i have not done this yet.

it is a glass aquarium and i intend to start with freshwater fish.

i appreciate everyones help.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:27 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What is CLR?

Really I would not use anything that was soapy but if you have dont this already then I would move toward a cleanup phase and try to get rid of any soap residue that might exist.

If you use white vinegar and rub the inside of the tank down real well as well as a mix of bleach and water and then rinsing it out plenty of times this should get you back to a very clean tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:31 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Quote:
What is CLR?
Calcium, Lime, and Rust remover. Pretty powerful stuff. It will take a corroded shower head and make it like new in about a minute of soaking. This may have absorbed into the silicone.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:32 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Don't let the vinegar and bleach come in contact with each other! Acid and bleach don't play well together. Rinse one out thoroughly before using the other.
I don't think your hopeless. Get it cleaned out and give it a go.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think you will be ok. Just fill the tank with warm fresh water and add a few powerheads for circulation, and let it stand like this for about a week. Empty the tank and refill it with a strong salt-water solution and let it stand for another week with the power heads running.

Then empty the tank and rinse it well with fresh water. Set up your system as normal, add a few low cost fish and monitor their health for a few weeks. If they look ok, then go for your full tank setup as you normally would.

I did the same thing back in my early days as an aquarium hobbyist, and after rinsing and soaking the tank as described above, all was fine.
Canada_Dry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:34 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi jonesja1,

IMO, I wouldn't worry about the CLR, I am familiar with that stuff, it should be OK.
Yes, it is used to remove Calcium, Lime and Rust, hence the name CLR but it isn't as nasty as it sounds.
http://www.shoppingspreez.com/Home-a...s/s_44158.html
Quote:
Removes calcium deposits from glassware, decanters and tea or coffee pots. Instantly removes lime scales from coffeemakers...
If they claim it is safe for glassware, decanters and tea or coffee pots, then I would ASSUME that it isn't toxic. {Too easy to get sued when your customers start dropping dead.}

The LYSOL product is what you need to worry about. I have no experience with that, so I'll let some of our resident experts help you out.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com