New aquarium setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! I currently have a 125 with FOWLR. In my tank I have 2 clowns, 1 damsel, LM Blenny, and 1 yellow wrasse. Also have about 55 LBS of LR and CC as a bed…..(I know bad idea)!!!
Anyway, Im looking to buy a 75-125 gallon SW and do the same except have more LR and live sand. My question is I hear of some people using nothing but LR for filteration and maybe a skimmer.
I know a lot of people are dead set on the wet dry and this is what I have as well for my 125. However, Im thinking of simply using a 15 gallon tank as a sump, dropping in a skimmer and maybe a UV sterilizer along with some smalls pumps for water movement. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I really don’t see any benefit to buying a “sump” with the filteration other than a sponge to filter out the big pieces of stuff coming from the tank…hope this makes sense.

Sumps make things simpler in terms of maintenace and storing equipment but are not essential to a successful tank. Both my reef tanks filtration are primarily LR and a good skimmer with a 1-1½" aragonite sandbed. I employ canisters on both but that is strictly for carbon (chemi-pure) or other resin media not filtration. Personally I wouldn't bother with the UV but that is your choice.

Cheers
Steve

most folks simply use a sump to house unsightly equipment. Allows you use an in-sump skimmer, throw in a couple heaters, attach the hoses for a chiller and for the UV Sterilizer etc, and the only thing visible in the display tank is the overflow and return hose. That can be a lot of ugly connectors and hoses and attachments etc when you're trying to create a beautiful tank. Also, keeping that stuff out of the tank makes more ROOM in the tank for fish/rock etc.

The only other real benifit to adding a sump, is the additional water volume that is added to the system. More water volume means more stable water parameters etc. Makes the system more balanced.

so instead of using an "official sump", can one use a 15 gallon fish tank as the sump? I would think this would be fairly practical in that I can do a skimmer and heaters there??

Back
Top Bottom