Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new around here, is my cycle progessing?

Hey all, this is my first post around here and this is the first tank i have set up, its a 10 gal, and started out with 5 zebras then later added a cpl guppies after some zebras died.

Ok, ive got 2 zebras in my tank now after my last guppy died. I wasent doing water changes in my tank and now my tank is getting roughly 20% water changes daily, sometimes 40%. MY ammonia was about 4ppm, and .25ppm in the nitrite department, now my ammonia is 1ppm and my nitrite has gone close to 2ppm. Is my cycle progessing?

Also, should i get some more fish to add, or leave the 2 zebras alone.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Sounds like it's progressing, yes. It will be fully cycled when you get 0 ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and a reading of nitrate. After that, I'd wait a few days then add fish slowly. Adding in fish right now will likely kill them.

Welcome to AA!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! Like DT said the cycle is progressing. I also would not recommend adding more fish right now.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
i have heard that you want to keep NH3 and NO2 levels below 1 ppm if you are cycling with fish. having NO2 above 1 ppm makes life hard of the fish. they will have a hard time breathing. IMO i would do a 50% PWC to get the NO2 level to 1 ppm ASAP.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drew,

Cut your feeding to 1/2 of what you are right now. So if your feeding twice daily, cut it to once a day, and if you already are only feeding once a day, cut it to every other day. This will help to reduce the ammonia and nitrIte levels.

And yes your cycle is progressing, but the first part of the cycle is quicker than the second part (from nitrIte to nitrAte). Keep up with the water changes!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

From my experience, zebras are wicked hardy. Your cycle sounds like it's moving right along. This may go against conventional wisdom, but I'd actually cut the frequency of your pwc's
Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumley
From my experience, zebras are wicked hardy. Your cycle sounds like it's moving right along. This may go against conventional wisdom, but I'd actually cut the frequency of your pwc's
Very bad advice. Do not do this.

The amount of bacteria in the water is minimal, the majority is found on your substrate, on the glass, and in your filter. If this was a fishless cycle yes we would just say go without the PWC's, but with fish, their health must be the priority, REGARDLESS of how hardy the fish is.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
I agree with 7 completely. Cutting down water changes may possible speed up the cycle process but at the cost of losing fish or at best making their life miserable. Keep up with your water changes and the fish will be happy, and your cycle will finish in not time.

Welcome to AA

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com