New babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh my....when it happens, it happens. Was trying to finish up christmas shopping about 2 hours away from home. Knew of a saltwater store in the area and stopped in. (big mistake) Needless to say, it was the last stop of the day due to a purchase or two.

Don't laugh..I fell in love with the most beautiful, hunter green brittle star that was absolutely huge! His center disk is at least 2.5 inches across and he would cover a dinner plate easily. He had been returned as he outgrew someones tank. Paid 30. for him, which I feel was a deal.

My husband has always wanted a Volitan. They had a very large one there that was trained to frozed krill, we watched him eat. Well, $70. later, we will call it part of his christmas :) I am really concerned about peppermint shrimp being his snack food, but we shall see.

The last purchase was a nice sized rock absolutely covered in feather Caulerpa, this was for the 30 gallon that is cycling.

Anyway, I just thought I would share.

Sounds like you both got early Christmas presents! How nice!!! :D

I love lionfish myself, and coming across one already trained is a big plus! I love the brittlestars too, I've only seen a couple as big as the one you bought though.....they are sooooo cool.....

(But yeah, unless you're very lucky, those shrimp will make a nice snack for the lionfish) :roll:

How many tanks do you have? It sounds like you have a houseful like me.... :lol:

I have 3 freshwater tanks and 2 saltwater. I am very new to the saltwater, but have had freshwater for a long time.

I am rather excited about finding a reef club about 2 hours from me.
Already, a nice person has volunteered a bunch of her mushrooms that
she says is over running her 90. I can't wait until my tanks are established enough to have that problem :)

That's great that you have a club near you! Oh yeah, it won't take long for the mushrooms to spread...or at least for most kinds....then once you get comfortable with them, then you start thinking about other stuff too....that's the fun part (for me at least) planning on what to get or do next.

I'm just the opposite of you. I have 2 fresh and 3 salt. Weird huh? I have a heavily planted 20g that is just gorgeous. This tank contains tetras, a couple of swordtails and a male ram. This is one of my fav tanks but I don't know if it's because it's so pretty or if it's because it's so easy to care for.... :wink: The other freshie is another 20g with a few plants and a couple of clown loachs, a pleco, blood parrot (yes one of those hybrids) and a yellow tail eel. What my husband doesn't realise is that all these fish will outgrow this tank, so I'll have to get another bigger one, then I can use this 20g for another small salt tank. Sneaky huh? :lol: What kind of freshies do you have?

So how's the lionfish today? They are truly a marvelous fish, tons of personality and beautiful to boot. Have you given the lionfish a name yet? My lion (a volitan like yours) is named Pinhead. Very nice fish that doesn't eat any other tankmates, and I know I'm extremely lucky in that regard, he also knows how to spit water at me when he wants attention or feels I'm not getting the food to him fast enough!

A green brittle star large enough to cover a dinner plate will be every bit the carnivore the lion is. I would guess the star will eat the shrimp before the lion. With an aggressive setup like you describe your star shouldn't pose a problem. Be aware that he will eat fish, shrimp, and anything in a DSB (if you hace one). They are cool to watch eat.

Mark

As soon as the 30 is nitrite free, any shrimp and small fish that have survived this experience, will move to that tank. Hopefully it wont be too much longer. I did notice today, that my big watchman goby has started to guard the shrimp. I have had him since oct 4th and he has not done this before. Maybe he realizes the threat.

The starfish is just too cool. I have a DSB, although I do not think that there is much in it. At least, I have not seen anything.

I have named the Lion, "Leo"..of course it isn't very original...I have also been known to call him other names when he was stalking the shrimp...
He is not eating for me as well as I would like to see. He is eating though.
I am hoping it is because he is in a new tank and all.

As far as my freshwater, I have a 46 gallon Discus, a 55 gallon community fish with a very big BGK that rules it, 3 rams, bunch of gourami, pictus cats, and rosy barbs.. and a 30 gallon mollie, angel baby tank.

Things aren't "clicking" for me this morning....what's a BGK?

You have discus too? How awesome! I love discus myself although I don't have any at the moment......((sigh))....someday perhaps I'll start up a tank for them....

Yeah, don't worry about the lionfish not eating at this point, he has to adjust to his new home. Also be careful not to overfeed....these fish are gluttons and will keep eating and eating....I feed mine 3 to 4 times a week, and that depends on how much I give him each feeding.

Good luck with your new critters!! :D

michealprater said:
so, wheres the pics of your new fish. I would love to see him.

I will try to take some tonight...

Things aren't "clicking" for me this morning....what's a BGK?

Black Ghost Knife.....he is honestly the biggest one I have ever seen..was 4 inches when I got him and last measurement was 6 months ago at 18 inches...he is bigger now

If anyone can bop me over the head with the "magic wand of photography", I will greatly appreciate it, until then, suffer with me :)

lion

Beautiful volitans Hara! Kymme (wife) will be green with envy. She wants a lionfish. Your pics are great too...I only wish I could take pics that good. My camera likes to add some color on its own :). Would like to see that green star also when you have a chance.
Logan J

Very nice photos and what a handsome fish he is! (Or pretty if it's a female!)

Thanks for the nice comments guys. This morning he actually started acting friendly...none of the hiding in the rock mess, so maybe he is settling in.

I was able to get some pictures of the Green Brittlestar late last night when I was feeding..haven't looked at them yet. I will do so tonight after work, if they are ok, I will post them.

I have a full tank pic, but it is nothing to look at, still pretty barren. Hope to get another 50 pounds of liverock right after the holidays...believe it or not, that is 95 pounds sitting there, it just looks like nothing.

Back
Top Bottom