Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

we bought all new sand for this tank though...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah you can just clean it, the life will eventually build up

Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok we have got it all worked all but now our temp is at 79 and we can not get it down what do we do?
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Making the assumption the Biocube is the compact flourescent version (?), they tend to run warm. when the lights are on. Several of us have the same problem but a few ideas.

1. Buy some of those refreezable gel ice packs..like you would use in a cooler for camping. I put one of these is a ziplock bag and then suspend it in the waterflow..it'll take te temp down a couple of degrees before it compeltely defreezes. I use this as an emergency measure..normally during hotter weather.

2. I elevated the main canopy with a dowel cut to the width of the tank. I used netting material, like from a pool hand skimmer, and attached it to the canopy (top and bottom) in order to keep my Firefish where he belongs. With this, I aimed a small desk fan at the top of the tank to help blow out the warmer air..this kept and keeps my temps at about 75...also add in the general cooling feature of a ceiling fan.

3. Purchase stronger fans and replace the ones in the canopy. I can't say what the standard size was as I upgraded my lighting and new fans came with the kit but mine uses a standard 50mm fan. You'd have to check your fan size to verify but they are easy enough to get to once you unscrew the plastic light guard. Fans in general are very easy to replace.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok for the fans what size do you think would be the best?
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Again, you are limited on size. The 50mm should fit. Look for size over brand..they pretty much run the same.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

do they make chillers for them?

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com