Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New Build!

Hello forums! So I have been on this forum for a while now. Just to let you know. I may or may not be the youngest aquarium lover on this forum, though I'm sure there is younger, I just turned 16. I have had a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium for about 2 years and have finally decided its time to upgrade. I was originally going to do a freshwater planted aquarium but decided against that due to the selection of fish. I am now going to do a 75 or 90-120 gallon build. I basically have a blank check but, I do not want to spend over 500-600 for the cycling process. I was either going to be getting the 75 drilled or now recently I was thinking a 90-120 not drilled. So that is where my first question comes in. Which aquarium should I do for a reef aquarium? Obviously I want to go bigger but I also want to have more money for other things. I can probably go to about 700 but that might aggravate my parents a tad. They are with me through the build though. Also what exactly do I need to get through cycling? I'm going to guess lights, a heater, sand and rocks, but I'm not sure what else. Also, I don't exactly get the general idea of a sump. What exactly is the purpose? Also what filter is best for a reef tank? I also want to try a reverse osmosis system but I'm not exactly sure what goes on with that. Any info would help me out greatly. Basically all I need to know at the moment is the basics that I should get today to get me cycling. As always I hope to keep this thread alive and post many pictures throughout the process! I can't wait to get this going! Thanks so much guys!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Before you even get started a 75+ gallon reef is gonna go over your budget pretty quick. Maybe start with a drilled 40 breeder. The sump is the best filter for a reef imo as well as many others. The water will drain into your sump through a filter sock most of the time to keep debris out then it can go through a series of chambers and baffles of your own configuration to get the best filtration for your needs. The standard is a skimmer chamber followed by a fuge (a safe place for small or sensitive creatures and plants to remove excess nutrients naturally) and then a return chamber which you would have a pump to send water back to the tank.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Before you even get started a 75+ gallon reef is gonna go over your budget pretty quick. Maybe start with a drilled 40 breeder. The sump is the best filter for a reef imo as well as many others. The water will drain into your sump through a filter sock most of the time to keep debris out then it can go through a series of chambers and baffles of your own configuration to get the best filtration for your needs. The standard is a skimmer chamber followed by a fuge (a safe place for small or sensitive creatures and plants to remove excess nutrients naturally) and then a return chamber which you would have a pump to send water back to the tank.
You don't believe that 600$ will be enough to start cycling?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends... You could start cycling with out reef lighting but reef lighting is pretty expensive.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Fish R friends, not food!

I would look at craigslist and see what you can find. You might be able to buy the whole system for that amount. I wouldn't even consider buying anything new when starting saltwater.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com