Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Just wanted to say welcome!! I see your in good hands!! Andy is the man!!
Thanks .
The filter floss is working wonders .
Next question is about starting to cycle .
When is a good time to introduce live rock or fish?
In order to start to cycle I will need some kind of fish ?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You can do it different ways here is a good way to get it started while it's trying to clear up. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-your-salt-tank/

You can also do it fish in but it's a little harder and will cost you more in salt. With the rock you can add your base rock but I'd wait on the other stuff till it cycles or you'll kill anything living on it

Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
You can do it different ways here is a good way to get it started while it's trying to clear up. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-your-salt-tank/

You can also do it fish in but it's a little harder and will cost you more in salt. With the rock you can add your base rock but I'd wait on the other stuff till it cycles or you'll kill anything living on it
Thank you for the link .
It was very helpful and I'm starting to understand allot more about cycling my tank .
The next question I have when I start checking levels do I need to leave it and let the levels come down by them selves ?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

Thank you for the link .
It was very helpful and I'm starting to understand allot more about cycling my tank .
The next question I have when I start checking levels do I need to leave it and let the levels come down by them selves ?
It depends on how your going to cycle? If your going to do it that way then you'll have to watch ammonia levels. If they get above 4ppm then you will need to remove the shrimp. But otherwise yes you have to wait till ammonia can turn into nitrite and then nitrate.

Doing it fish in you'll have to keep testing and doing water changes to keep the ammonia & nitrite down, so it will be.safe for the fish.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

It depends on how your going to cycle? If your going to do it that way then you'll have to watch ammonia levels. If they get above 4ppm then you will need to remove the shrimp. But otherwise yes you have to wait till ammonia can turn into nitrite and then nitrate.

Doing it fish in you'll have to keep testing and doing water changes to keep the ammonia & nitrite down, so it will be.safe for the fish.
Should I run the skimmer and the filters ?
I was told when setting it up I wouldn't need to run a skimmer yet cause there wouldn't be anything in the water to take out .
Old 03-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Should I run the skimmer and the filters ?
I was told when setting it up I wouldn't need to run a skimmer yet cause there wouldn't be anything in the water to take out .
I wouldn't worry.about the skimmer right now
Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

I wouldn't worry.about the skimmer right now
You have been a huge help .
Thank you very much .
Is there a set time to wait after filling , mixing salt and adding sand before I start the cycle ?
I filled and started it on Saturday afternoon .
Thanks again
Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

You have been a huge help .
Thank you very much .
Is there a set time to wait after filling , mixing salt and adding sand before I start the cycle ?
I filled and started it on Saturday afternoon .
Thanks again
No set time at all, you can start the cycle process right away if ya wanted to as long as you have an ammonia source.

The way your tank is right now is doing nothing but cleaning the cloudy water from the sand. Until you add ammonia of some sort the cycle won't start.

You need to start doing some research on the nitrogen cycle to get a good understanding of it. Under my.picture below is a link for freshwater getting started. It will cover a lot of info that will help you get the idea of what's going on and what has to happen.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

No set time at all, you can start the cycle process right away if ya wanted to as long as you have an ammonia source.

The way your tank is right now is doing nothing but cleaning the cloudy water from the sand. Until you add ammonia of some sort the cycle won't start.

You need to start doing some research on the nitrogen cycle to get a good understanding of it. Under my.picture below is a link for freshwater getting started. It will cover a lot of info that will help you get the idea of what's going on and what has to happen.
Does the live sand provide any ammonia or do I only get it from fish , food , or anything decomposing like the shrimp we were talking about ?
Thanks again Andy , ill upload pictures as I go .
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Your not going to get any ammonia out of the sand. It will come from the other things you listed. Some sands that are sold are said to have live bacteria in it. I've only used the stuff once way back when on a salt tank and I don't think it helped any.

You adding an ammonia source will create bacteria in your filters and sand and everything else to start growing. Once the bacteria catches up it will convert the ammonia to nitrite, nitrate. That's the purpose of a cycle. Ammonia and nitrite is deadly to fish so you don't want them . The tank. Nitrate should be kept at low levels. You'll be able to do that by being on a good water change schedule.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com