Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

It looks to me like your almost done. Nitrates don't make a difference what we are looking at is ammonia and nitrite. Add the shrimp back in and do yourself a favor and get a liquid test kit like the Api. Those strips are junk it's it's only going to make things harder to read.

Any kit you buy you'll have to wait for however long it says then that's the color. As it sits out it will keep getting different colors.
Thanks Andy .
This kit I have is API but it is strips instead of liquid .
There is still coral dying off and find it hard to believe but I guess I have established bacteria to start doing its job .
Why do you suggest putting shrimp back in ?
__________________

__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

Thanks Andy .
This kit I have is API but it is strips instead of liquid .
There is still coral dying off and find it hard to believe but I guess I have established bacteria to start doing its job .
Why do you suggest putting shrimp back in ?
Just to raise it back up to be safe that it can bring it back down again. Mostly Just double checking. But it be.nice if you had a better.test kit to do it with. I would hate for you to add fish and what not and ammonia comes back.
__________________

__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

Just to raise it back up to be safe that it can bring it back down again. Mostly Just double checking. But it be.nice if you had a better.test kit to do it with. I would hate for you to add fish and what not and ammonia comes back.
The pictures I posted yesterday with the one coral on the rock that is blowing around my tank In the current from dying shouldn't that provide enough ammonia to raise the level if it was to spike again ?
I don't plan on adding fish for atleast another week , but if the cycle isn't almost finished I don't want to take the ammonia source away and have to start over .
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

The pictures I posted yesterday with the one coral on the rock that is blowing around my tank In the current from dying shouldn't that provide enough ammonia to raise the level if it was to spike again ?
I don't plan on adding fish for atleast another week , but if the cycle isn't almost finished I don't want to take the ammonia source away and have to start over .
Yes but maybe not enough. I would remove it before it falsely apart and add more fresh shrimp. Another reason now that you said you wasn't adding more fish FOR ANOTHER WEEK. bacteria can only live so long without a source to feed on. So you'll want to continue adding till the day before you get fish anyways. It won't hurt anything only make it stronger. The day before you get fish you'll want to remove all ammonia sources and do a big water change. Don't clean anything because it could set it back.
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

Yes but maybe not enough. I would remove it before it falsely apart and add more fresh shrimp. Another reason now that you said you wasn't adding more fish FOR ANOTHER WEEK. bacteria can only live so long without a source to feed on. So you'll want to continue adding till the day before you get fish anyways. It won't hurt anything only make it stronger. The day before you get fish you'll want to remove all ammonia sources and do a big water change. Don't clean anything because it could set it back.
I'm going to take the shrimp out in the morning again and see if the ammonia goes to 0 in less 24 hrs .
But I think I should empty the canister to rid the nitrate ?
Or do not touch anything yet ?
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

I'm going to take the shrimp out in the morning again and see if the ammonia goes to 0 in less 24 hrs .
But I think I should empty the canister to rid the nitrate ?
Or do not touch anything yet ?
Don't touch anything
The nitrate you can lower by doing water changes. But like I said your going to want an ammonia source in the tank all week till you get new fish. So your not in any hurry. I'd just leave the shrimp in there and take it out every few days to control the smell. You can start doing water changes just replace it don't clean. You want to make sure the bacteria builds up good and stays.
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

Don't touch anything
The nitrate you can lower by doing water changes. But like I said your going to want an ammonia source in the tank all week till you get new fish. So your not in any hurry. I'd just leave the shrimp in there and take it out every few days to control the smell. You can start doing water changes just replace it don't clean. You want to make sure the bacteria builds up good and stays.
Instead of fish would a CUC be a smarter choice to start with ?
I was thinking of a few crabs , cleaner shrimp , maybe a few snails .
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

Instead of fish would a CUC be a smarter choice to start with ?
I was thinking of a few crabs , cleaner shrimp , maybe a few snails .
What exactly are you planning on doing with stock, how many and what fish?
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

What exactly are you planning on doing with stock, how many and what fish?
This is the funny part .
I have a 7 year old daughter that asked me to set up a fish tank . When it comes time to put fish I think she gets the ultimate decision . Lol
I know she likes nemo ( clowns ) I was thinking a tang of some kind ,
I like cleaner shrimp , hermit crabs .
Butterflies are nice but they need a bigger tank ?
I plan on a nice reef setup eventually .
As for corals or what fish to start off with I am open for suggestions .
What's first CUC or fish ?
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
You could add the clean up crew along with the clowns. The other stuff I'd wait a little while on and do the corals last.
__________________

__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Tank, Fully Cycled, Fish all dying of Cotton Fungus dbf909 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 10 12-15-2012 09:06 PM
New tank cloudy...and a first water test...HELP! rsigler Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 9 12-06-2011 12:37 AM
Cloudy ammonia water. I NEED HELP! ): TlmAsj2910 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 3 10-09-2011 01:09 PM
tank water has a cloudy look to it Humanis1993 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 10 09-23-2011 12:00 AM
Advice on newish (and first) tropical/fresh 10 gallon... FoxGlove Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 07-25-2011 01:22 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.