New -cloudy water in marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does the live sand provide any ammonia or do I only get it from fish , food , or anything decomposing like the shrimp we were talking about ?
Thanks again Andy , ill upload pictures as I go .

The tank is crystal clear .
Maintaining temp at 78 and
Specific gravity is 1.024
I am thinking I will add the shrimp this week sometime but think I should wait till I purchase a test kit before I do .
Is there a kit I should stay away from ?
Is there one or a type that will give a accurate reading ?

The tank is crystal clear .
Maintaining temp at 78 and
Specific gravity is 1.024
I am thinking I will add the shrimp this week sometime but think I should wait till I purchase a test kit before I do .
Is there a kit I should stay away from ?
Is there one or a type that will give a accurate reading ?

The Api master saltwater test kit will do fine. You do realize that it's having you add shrimp from a super market right? Not live ones

The Api master saltwater test kit will do fine. You do realize that it's having you add shrimp from a super market right? Not live ones

Yes I do know that .
Not cooked and not cured. ,
Just a raw shrimp .

It's a iPhone app but registered on the main site

It's a iPhone app but registered on the main site

Hmm can't help ya with the iPhone. It should be about the same but the apps are a little different. Look for something that says attachment after you hit reply to thread . If convict ever pops his head back in I'm sure he will tell you how

On the main site you can't use quick reply it has to be post reply

Here it is
2013-03-25-19-06-23.jpg

Also in your profile in the main site if you put pictures in your profile at the bottom of the picture there are two links the img code if you copy that then you can stick the picture anywhere. That actually is the best way to do it because it saves space

I'm not helpful with the reason for this thread, but I use the iPhone app. To add to a thread you hit the arrow button on the top right of your screen. To add a photo hit the plus sign once you are in the reply screen (if you have your phone side ways it will say "advanced") if you want to start a new thread go to the correct section and then hit the arrow in the top right.

Thank you .

I just have to figure how to add pictures .

Looks about how mine started

Hi Andy .
Another question
This 70 gal was not drilled and was planning on running it with a canister but after doing about a weeks worth of research apparently with live sand , live rock and a skimmer it is enough .
The canister I have is a ehiem 2217

Inside that canister is about 1/3 white ceramic octagons , 1/3 brown ball about 1/4" dia
And the rest is a think blue porous sponge and filter floss .
What should I remove to avoid trapping ammonia ?
What is your best suggestion ?

Well you wouldn't trap ammonia but with a canister your nitrates may become a problem. In the saltwater world a sump is a must IMO. You are right about the rocks and sand holding enough bacteria. If I ran the canister it would only have sponges to take out debris from the water. You should look into a sump. Also what skimmer are you using?

Last edited:
Well you wouldn't trap ammonia but with a canister your nitrates may become a problem. In the saltwater world a sump is a must IMO. You are right about the rocks and sand holding enough bacteria. If I ran the canister it would only have sponges to take out debris from the water. You should look into a sump. Also what skimmer are you using?

I haven't decided on a skimmer yet .
I just started it and adding the rock this weekend .
I'll start to cycle it on Monday .
Is there a safe way to run a sump by using a u tube instead of drilling ?

I haven't decided on a skimmer yet .
I just started it and adding the rock this weekend .
I'll start to cycle it on Monday .
Is there a safe way to run a sump by using a u tube instead of drilling ?

Well as long as it's set up right and the sump is big enough to hold about 1" of the surface water of the tank then it shouldn't over flow. It takes a little practice and testing to get it right but it's pretty simple. They do sell over flow box's.

An over flow box will stop once the water level drops below the inside skimmer cup. So that little bit of water is what your sump will need to be able to hold.

Using a sump will open up a whole new world of filtration and cool little gadgets in saltwater. Gadgets = things that may be needed if doing corals. Including better protein skimmers

Last edited:
Well as long as it's set up right and the sump is big enough to hold about 1" of the surface water of the tank then it shouldn't over flow. It takes a little practice and testing to get it right but it's pretty simple. They do sell over flow box's.

An over flow box will stop once the water level drops below the inside skimmer cup. So that little bit of water is what your sump will need to be able to hold.

Using a sump will open up a whole new world of filtration and cool little gadgets in saltwater. Gadgets = things that may be needed if doing corals.

Now you say things and gadgets that might be needed if doing corals .
I know I need better lights .
And a sump is still a thought

Now you say things and gadgets that might be needed if doing corals .
I know I need better lights .
And a sump is still a thought

I did my salt tank for a couple years with a canister and a hob skimmer. I eventually went to the sump and it made everything 10 times better including cleaning. IMO it's a must have

I did my salt tank for a couple years with a canister and a hob skimmer. I eventually went to the sump and it made everything 10 times better including cleaning. IMO it's a must have

what does IMO stand for ?
I think I will run it with the HOB skimmer and canister to start .
What is the best kind of skimmer ?
I have a small sump skimmer from my 30 gal 15 years ago
It was a powerhead and Venturi

Back
Top Bottom