New Clown tank help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most people do, its highly recommended. Way too many thing can go wrong from using tap. Most fish stores sell ro/di for $1 or less per gallon. However buying an ro/di unit is more economical as it pays for itself jn less than a year compared to driving and paying 1$ per gallon. With your own unit you produce pure water 0tds for pennies a gallons.

nope i have been reefing for about 2.5 years and I have specially found it useful to use distilled water, but I always prep before I put in my tank because if not its a BOMB!!!! for my reef, I prep everything for my tank about a day before it actually goes in my tank this give time for the salt to give me the correct reading, and also depending if I use mineral tablets or liquid minerals to establish the correct levels for the reef. first though decide if you are doing fish only or reef, prep your tank for about 6mos, that way you get the hang of it, and then add w/e of the parts you are missing fish or reef, also keep in mind reefing requires t5 lighting or above so check if you can for a 10g I had to use some LED's but thats another storybook.

Wait if I get live rock for my tank and it envitably has coral on it then wouldn't it be considered a reef

Radar said:
Wait if I get live rock for my tank and it envitably has coral on it then wouldn't it be considered a reef

I guess you could consider it a reef. I think what they mean though Is will you be purposely trying to grow coral. If you are going to be buying specific corals then you are going to need good lights. If there is coral on the live rock and you don't care if it dies and if you aren't planning on buying corals to put in your tank then you are going FOWLR (fish only with live rock).

About the water- if you don't want to get the RODI unit right now that will probably be ok. You should buy RO water though. I have a 55 gal freshwater tank but my tap water is high nitrates and pH. I buy 10 gallons of RO water at my local grocery store ( about 39 cents a gallon. Less than 5 dollars!) and is it for my pwc's. I actually use a mix of 10 gals RO and 5-6 gals tap water because my plants and snails need the minerals in my tap water. It brings my nitrates and PH down to a reasonable level. When I turn my tank into a reef I will get an RODI unit. Look into seeing about how close a grocery store is to you and how much their RODI water is. You'd probably only need a couple gallons a week since a 10 gal is not going to take that much water for a pwc and a couple gallons for topping off the tank to compensate for evaporation.

I guess you could consider it a reef. I think what they mean though Is will you be purposely trying to grow coral. If you are going to be buying specific corals then you are going to need good lights. If there is coral on the live rock and you don't care if it dies and if you aren't planning on buying corals to put in your tank then you are going FOWLR (fish only with live rock).

About the water- if you don't want to get the RODI unit right now that will probably be ok. You should buy RO water though. I have a 55 gal freshwater tank but my tap water is high nitrates and pH. I buy 10 gallons of RO water at my local grocery store ( about 39 cents a gallon. Less than 5 dollars!) and is it for my pwc's. I actually use a mix of 10 gals RO and 5-6 gals tap water because my plants and snails need the minerals in my tap water. It brings my nitrates and PH down to a reasonable level. When I turn my tank into a reef I will get an RODI unit. Look into seeing about how close a grocery store is to you and how much their RODI water is. You'd probably only need a couple gallons a week since a 10 gal is not going to take that much water for a pwc and a couple gallons for topping off the tank to compensate for evaporation.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom