Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question New Clown tank help/advice

Hi, I'm new to this site and I need help and or advice for a saltwater tank I'm planing on starting. Would it be ok if I put just one ocellaris clownfish in a 10 gallon tank? If so what would I need for the tank and is there a possibility of tankmates? If so examples please additional details: ive kept a couple of freshwater tanks but never a saltwater and I know about the nitrogen cycle, Thanks!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 10 is a little small for a clown. I would go with a 20g.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

yea I would say a 29 gallon.. that would probably be a little better. you can add fish with them but not many because of such a small tank. this was my ol 29 gallon tank

Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys but could you still help me out on what i would need besides a bigger tank
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need rock, sand, salt water mix, a hydrometer or refractometer, thermometer, heater, pump, power heads, lighting- if you want corals you need better lights than if you did a fish only with live rock-, saltwater testing kit...

First decide what tank size you want and then you can start getting the supplies. If you do a 10 gal tank there are plenty of nano fish to pick from. Www.liveaquaria.com has alot of info on alot of fish.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post
You will need rock, sand, salt water mix, a hydrometer or refractometer, thermometer, heater, pump, power heads, lighting- if you want corals you need better lights than if you did a fish only with live rock-, saltwater testing kit...

First decide what tank size you want and then you can start getting the supplies. If you do a 10 gal tank there are plenty of nano fish to pick from. Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums has alot of info on alot of fish.
Thank you so much that's awesome of you to break it down for me...would you recommend live sand as well
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's telling me you replied but won't let me see the post. Very annoying. I'll reply to your reply as soon as I can read it.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #8

Yeah that's weird I said thanks for breaking it all down for me and do you need special lighting with an only fish with live rock tank and also would you recommend live sand too. THANKS!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #9

live sand and live rock would be perfect. but you dont need any special lighting to keep the bacteria alive on the live rock or the live sand. regular lighting will do fine. although some people do get the lights for coral just because it makes the tank so vibrent and makes everything stand out more. maybe just something for you to think about.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Yeah that's weird I said thanks for breaking it all down for me and do you need special lighting with an only fish with live rock tank and also would you recommend live sand too. THANKS!!!
I've heard live sand is a waste of money. It's been sitting on the shelves so long that any bacteria and other organisms would be dead. If you know someone with a healthy saltwater tank you could ask them for a few handfuls of sand and add it to the sand you put in the tank to help seed it, but its not necessary at all.

I don't believe you need any special lighting for fish only. Just whatever light you think makes the tank look good.

Are you going to buy live rock or just get base rock and do a complete fishless cycle? If you buy live rock you still have to allow a cycle period of a week or two.

You'll need about 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. So a 10 gallon tank would need about 15lbs of rock. You probably only need a 1.5-2inch thick sand bed unless you get a fish that will burrow and dig.

Tags
clown, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com