New Clown tank help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to this site and I need help and or advice for a saltwater tank I'm planing on starting. Would it be ok if I put just one ocellaris clownfish in a 10 gallon tank? If so what would I need for the tank and is there a possibility of tankmates? If so examples please:D additional details: ive kept a couple of freshwater tanks but never a saltwater and I know about the nitrogen cycle, Thanks! :)

yea I would say a 29 gallon.. that would probably be a little better. you can add fish with them but not many because of such a small tank. this was my ol 29 gallon tank

img_1988078_0_92ab7eae3dcf22de0cc70f1cdcd5c9f9.jpg

img_1988078_1_0867aa0c1e137da05b939099c3ad8c4a.jpg

img_1988078_2_789320ba50e9ff2f4bf8d5ab2985fb8b.jpg

Thanks for the replys but could you still help me out on what i would need besides a bigger tank

You will need rock, sand, salt water mix, a hydrometer or refractometer, thermometer, heater, pump, power heads, lighting- if you want corals you need better lights than if you did a fish only with live rock-, saltwater testing kit...

First decide what tank size you want and then you can start getting the supplies. If you do a 10 gal tank there are plenty of nano fish to pick from. Www.liveaquaria.com has alot of info on alot of fish.

You will need rock, sand, salt water mix, a hydrometer or refractometer, thermometer, heater, pump, power heads, lighting- if you want corals you need better lights than if you did a fish only with live rock-, saltwater testing kit...

First decide what tank size you want and then you can start getting the supplies. If you do a 10 gal tank there are plenty of nano fish to pick from. Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums has alot of info on alot of fish.

Thank you so much that's awesome of you to break it down for me...would you recommend live sand as well

It's telling me you replied but won't let me see the post. Very annoying. I'll reply to your reply as soon as I can read it.

Yeah that's weird I said thanks for breaking it all down for me and do you need special lighting with an only fish with live rock tank and also would you recommend live sand too. THANKS!!!

live sand and live rock would be perfect. but you dont need any special lighting to keep the bacteria alive on the live rock or the live sand. regular lighting will do fine. although some people do get the lights for coral just because it makes the tank so vibrent and makes everything stand out more. maybe just something for you to think about.

Radar said:
Yeah that's weird I said thanks for breaking it all down for me and do you need special lighting with an only fish with live rock tank and also would you recommend live sand too. THANKS!!!

I've heard live sand is a waste of money. It's been sitting on the shelves so long that any bacteria and other organisms would be dead. If you know someone with a healthy saltwater tank you could ask them for a few handfuls of sand and add it to the sand you put in the tank to help seed it, but its not necessary at all.

I don't believe you need any special lighting for fish only. Just whatever light you think makes the tank look good.

Are you going to buy live rock or just get base rock and do a complete fishless cycle? If you buy live rock you still have to allow a cycle period of a week or two.

You'll need about 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. So a 10 gallon tank would need about 15lbs of rock. You probably only need a 1.5-2inch thick sand bed unless you get a fish that will burrow and dig.

I've heard live sand is a waste of money. It's been sitting on the shelves so long that any bacteria and other organisms would be dead. If you know someone with a healthy saltwater tank you could ask them for a few handfuls of sand and add it to the sand you put in the tank to help seed it, but its not necessary at all.

I don't believe you need any special lighting for fish only. Just whatever light you think makes the tank look good.

Are you going to buy live rock or just get base rock and do a complete fishless cycle? If you buy live rock you still have to allow a cycle period of a week or two.

You'll need about 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. So a 10 gallon tank would need about 15lbs of rock. You probably only need a 1.5-2inch thick sand bed unless you get a fish that will burrow and dig.

this is true. i normally buy dry sand or aragonite and mix a little live sand with it. over time the sand bed will develop more of its narual bacteria and its cheaper than buying a crap load of live sand.

Wow thanks guys for all these great answers!!!

You don't need 1.5 pounds per gallon. You don't need any live rock, hence fish only systems. It does help, and if you want it to be beneficial you should have atleast 1 pound per gallon.

Also, it depends on how porous the rock is. The more porous, the more bacteria can grow on it, making it more effective.

does anybody know if its really necessary to get a reverse osmosis/deionization water thing????

Radar said:
does anybody know if its really necessary to get a reverse osmosis/deionization water thing????

I heard if you don't you could get alot of algae. I plan on getting one when I start my saltwater tank. I have well water with alot of nitrates. So for me it would be worth it.

I heard if you don't you could get alot of algae. I plan on getting one when I start my saltwater tank. I have well water with alot of nitrates. So for me it would be worth it.
I was I afraid you'd say that.... :/ I mean $150-200 is a big whole in my pocket

Maybe the reply has been made but i will add my 2 cents anyways

thing u need:
Live Sand about 1-1.5in deep
Live Rock this is great in uncured because all of the gunk that falls of will help the ammonia spike and the cycle
filter (my selection of choice AC emperor penguin)
hydrometer
Salt mix that is low on nitrates and nitrites as some may damage your tank
heater h2o about 78-83
if possible try to get any media or anything that has been seeded before

Now tank input, a 10G is a bit small bt will do I know some people suggest a 20-30 but they forget that some people have tight budgets, If you do one clown and stick to one clown you will be able to pull it off maybe 2 but no more they grow about 3in doesn't sound like much but it adds up.

last thing that really is a concern the parameters in a 10g are harder to keep than if you have more water, the more water the more safe haven you have incase something bad happens.

I personally have had a 10g SW reef tank and i can tell u it was the hardest tank that I have owned.

Maybe the reply has been made but i will add my 2 cents anyways

thing u need:
Live Sand about 1-1.5in deep
Live Rock this is great in uncured because all of the gunk that falls of will help the ammonia spike and the cycle
filter (my selection of choice AC emperor penguin)
hydrometer
Salt mix that is low on nitrates and nitrites as some may damage your tank
heater h2o about 78-83
if possible try to get any media or anything that has been seeded before

Now tank input, a 10G is a bit small bt will do I know some people suggest a 20-30 but they forget that some people have tight budgets, If you do one clown and stick to one clown you will be able to pull it off maybe 2 but no more they grow about 3in doesn't sound like much but it adds up.

last thing that really is a concern the parameters in a 10g are harder to keep than if you have more water, the more water the more safe haven you have incase something bad happens.

I personally have had a 10g SW reef tank and i can tell u it was the hardest tank that I have owned.
Thanks a lot! But, do you use a Reverse Osmosis/Deionizing system to purify your water???

Back
Top Bottom