New clownfish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys, I need some help. I got a couple of clownfish in my first ever saltwater tank few days ago. I bought Omega 1 with garlic but my fish don't seem to et it. They come close and sometimes nip at it and then go away. Did I buy the right stuff or should I get something else?

Thanks

This is solely based on my experience. I have a 54 gallon bowfront. The first 2 fish I put where two oscelaris clowns. They mostly hid in the liverock and didn't eat. For the first 3 days they would come out of hiding when the food was there but wouldn't actually eat it. I put in 4 blue green chromis that just zipped around the tank and ate everything, within 30 minutes of adding them, my clowns ate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well my water parameters are all within limits. Just checked them today. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 10 ppm. My oscilaris clowns run around the tank no problem. Very active even try to nibble at the flakes but then go away. I think I may have to add chromis to shame them ... hehehehe..

The tank is new and is cycled. These two are the first ones in the tank and been there for the past 4 days.

Should I wait for a few more days? Should I don't feed them for a couple of days and then try again? Add more fish as suggested?

What do you guys think?

I tried frozen, flakes and pellets and eventually they ate. Just about finding the right meal sometimes

Like the following post says, sometimes it's just finding the right meal. Hold off feeding the fish for a few days and try again.

Got it. I'll wait two three days, let the fish go on without food. Then they will realize the importance of it. [Moderator Edit] fishes, they think like they are dogs. No more pampering. Eat whatever I am giving or remain hungry. mohahahahaha

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of fish enjoy frozen mysis shrimp. Did you try that?

I had the same with my very first 2 fish in my tank which were clowns. Tried pellets flakes frozen brine and frozen mysis. After about 5days they finally got an appetite And now take food out of my fingers in the tank

What size tank is this and what are the other tank inhabitants? If there isn't an issue with parameters it has to be something else. Any recent additions?

Its a 45 gallon tank and these are the only two fishes in it.

No i have not tried frozen food yet.

What size tank is this and what are the other tank inhabitants? If there isn't an issue with parameters it has to be something else. Any recent additions?

It doesn't always have to mean water parameters, or stress when fish don't eat! This goes for fresh and saltwater. There are fish in the hobby that even under prime conditions they're prone to being picky eaters.

It doesn't always have to mean water parameters, or stress when fish don't eat! This goes for fresh and saltwater. There are fish in the hobby that even under prime conditions they're prone to being picky eaters.

True, but clowns aren't one of those fish. Op I wouldn't worry until it's been a couple weeks, a new tank and every thing that goes with it can be tough on fish. Also agree with trying some frozen

Thank you BigRed. I will wait for a week or so to see if my fish start taking flakes. BTW I am giving them marine flakes with garlic Omega1 brand). After that I wil ltry to add some chromis to see if that can prompt them to start eating. Will try frozen last since my lfs told me that these clowns are tank raised and used to flakes.

Thank you

There's no harm in trying the frozen food right away. I'm not a huge fan of flake food to begin with

Use of flakes is just to save cost. Frozen food is expensive and if I can avoid it, I will be able to put some money towards a decent lighting. I m looking to get some softies corals down the road.

I don't know where you are located, but in New York...... A decent size pack of frozen cubes is only 3.25

Use of flakes is just to save cost. Frozen food is expensive and if I can avoid it, I will be able to put some money towards a decent lighting. I m looking to get some softies corals down the road.

So, why don't you make your own? You'll save even more money and it won't have any preservatives or anything in it.

Here a 6 oz is around 7 dollars. And. I don't know how to make my own. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom