new clownfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbb222

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
My first post. I used to have a reef tank but have been without for about two years due to moving and school. I am now interested in doing a clownfish/anemone tank but my only experince with clown fish was an angry tomatoe that lived in my old reef tank. I am looking for a recomendation as to a good species for a pair of clownfish and anemone combo, and also tank size. With regard to size would it be possible to use a tank as small as 30 gallon. I understand the benefits of larger tanks but have space limitations to deal with.

Thank you BB

Since you're at school, a 30 gallon seems reasonable. I'd say true percula are your best bet, they won't grow over 3 inches, so a pair of them will fit comfortably into the tank through adulthood. Add some interesting shrimp/crabs for variety.

True percula are the stereotypical "nemo" fish, so your non-fishy friends will probably appreciate them.

What kind of lighting were you thinking of to support the anemone?

I'm open to suggestions as to light, my old compact fluorescent from my reef tank caught on fire weeks before taking my tank apart. SO i currently have no lights, and would be interested in ideas. The one that caught on fire was a hand me down compact flourescent with a monstrous hot ballast . It singed the wall, charred the carpet and made the house stink before I could put the fire out. Fish were fine.

How much money are you waning to spend on the lights is probally the next question. If you can afford it go with some nice MH lights. This way you can put almost any coral in the tank if you plan on it and they look really nice. If your not wanting to spend that much might look into the satellite or orbit fixtures. I had one on my 10g and for the price they looked really well and my few soft corals seemed to like it alot.

Back
Top Bottom