New coral ? about placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a new Xenia...I think...I will get the exact species in a few, but I am wondering if I really need to wedge the dead part of the coral between some rocks or just make sure it is positioned so it doesn't fall over.... I'll have a pic up tomorrow

but I am wondering if I really need to wedge the dead part of the coral between some rocks or just make sure it is positioned so it doesn't fall over....

Well first, xenia is a soft coral and hopefully you didn't buy it with any dead parts :wink: They are usually attatched to small pieces of rock and people will either glue the rock or wedge it so the coral doesn't fall over. So...it really doesn't matter, just so long as the coral is stable.

Please take the time to research a coral BEFORE you purchase it. There are several books listed on this site that can give you all the care info you need. It is important to research because in the close confines of our aquariums, some corals just shouldn't be kept together. Also, it will verify that you can provide the proper care they require in the first place. :?

Thanks reefrunner...

Hoops Guru .... yes, I didn't do as much research as I did for my fish, but I asked around 2 LFS's for the hardiest species... I only plan on adding ONE more tops... and it will be very far away from this one.

I didn't do as much research as I did for my fish, but I asked around 2 LFS's for the hardiest species...

If the LFS told you Alveopora was one of the hardiest species, you need to go back there and cuss them up one side and down the other. Alveopora has the same problems in captivity as Gonipora which is to say the mortality rate is very high. They do well for a few months then start to open less and less until one day they are dead. This, of course, is if they don't get injured and get consumed by a "brown jelly" infection. This really is a case where the LFS outright lied to you, one way or the other.

I suppose I should have looked at the pics first, that is either gonipora (24 tentacles on each polyp Alveopora has only 12 tentacles per polyp) or its a Turbinaria sp coral. Need a better pic to know for sure.

but I asked around 2 LFS's for the hardiest species... I only plan on adding ONE more tops... and it will be very far away from this one.

Never, EVER, seek and take the advice of someone that has a monetary gain to be made with the answer they give. Not to mention, many LFS are less education in coral husbandry than even the average member of any forum. It doesn't take that much more effort to see a coral in the store, and then research it before purchase (I take my book with me!). If you really want it, and it is a good LFS, they should even be willing to hold it for you. The point is, as a conscientious aquarist, you should be responsible for anything and everything that gets placed in your tank. :wink:

Kevin, I got KentMarine Phytoplankton and CoralVite ... I plan on using the phytoplakton 3 times a week and the coralvite once a week after water changes... Sound like a good plan?

That looks like gonipora to me, although I cant see it that well. As Kevin said, you got seriously gypted out. Go back and kick and scream. That is said to be a hard to keep coral, beautiful, but tough to keep.

Back
Top Bottom