new DI stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my RO unit for about 3 months and have just ordered a DI stage. how much water do I need to run through the DI stage before I start to use the water? I will be just adding the DI stage to the unit, changing no other filters

To me i would just hook up the new unit right after the last filter in your ro unit. take a 5 inch hose and connect. Atleast....i think

To me i would just hook up the new unit right after the last filter in your ro unit. take a 5 inch hose and connect. Atleast....i think

I know how to hook it up but I don't know how much if any water I should discard after hooking it up. 1 gallon?

The manufacturers will usually tell you how much to waste before you start collecting on their manuals. But for the most part, like neilanh said, 1 gallon sounds right. I've seen anywhere from 1-5 gallons before collecting, but i think 1 gallon is a safe bet.

When I got my RO/DI unit it said to discard the first 5 gallons. I really dont know if that was for the RO or the DI.

It makes sense (at least in my mind) that you'd want to run more through a new RO membrane. But, to me, all you're really trying to do is get the dust off the DI resin before collecting it.

It makes sense (at least in my mind) that you'd want to run more through a new RO membrane. But, to me, all you're really trying to do is get the dust off the DI resin before collecting it.

yeah that is what I was thinking.

How much should you run through new filters and carbon blocks 5 gal?

The normal rule to discard the first XX gallons, I think, is meant for the RO membrane. I run straight DI and never discard any water after changing resin. Well... I let it run for maybe a quart to get the air out of the system, but that's all. I haven't noticed any issues in my tank because of it.

How about running it till your tds meter shows 0?
Thats all I do after chaning the DI resin in my DI filter.

Yeah, but what about if you don't have a TDS meter? Then what? ;) Let it run for about 1-2 minutes? Or buy a meter.. :p

Back
Top Bottom