New Elos 70 aquarium with blenny stowaway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LondonChap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I purchased an Elos 70 marine aquarium (55g) and had it installed by the LFS on Tuesday this week. When they placed the live rock in it randomly had a 4 inch long starry blenny stowaway hidden in the rock. I've already grown attached to the little guy and I desperately don't want to lose him. Any tips on what I can do to mitigate the dreaded ammonia spike? I was thinking of doing a 20% water change as soon as the spike hits - does this sound sensible? Roughly how long after set up should I expect the spike? Any other advice?

If helpful in answering the question, I have 20lb of live sand and 10kg of live rock. I also have a 15g sump with protein skimmer and fluidised reactor.

He seems like a hardy little chap - after all he spent about 3 hours out of water in the rock! He's officially my girlfriend's first ever pet and so I can only imagine the teers if he doesn't make it. We've given him the name Lucky (which I'm hoping does not prove too ironic). Any advice you can offer to help Lucky would be greatly appreciated. He seems in perfect health at the moment.

I am new to aquariums and was going to wait a month before adding any fish. Oh well... best laid plans and all that...

The best way to ensure the health of the fish would be to see if the store or some one you know with a tank would hold the fish while you cycle. Otherwise you'll probably want to be prepared to do frequent 50% wc's to keep ammonia down. You'll also want more rock generally around .5kg / gal.

Back
Top Bottom