New Enthusiast (salt Water)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vindeisel1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I do not have a tank at this point. I do know that I want to do a Fish only tank at first, and later add different things as I learn. All I know in some research online is that I want a SUMP not Canister, because I understand that a Sump is better if you will eventually move to a Reef Tank??? Is that correct????

I have been looking to see about Fish that are Hardy??? So that they might be easier to maintain.

I have been looking at Tangs/Surgeonfish; Triggerfish????; Angels/Butterflies???

Dansels, Chromis and clown fish????

Of course not all of these and maybe none of these will be in the tank? hehehe/ I want to see about getting a 150 gallon tank if at all possible. Maybe i am biting of to much to chue????? Especially when it comes to a Budget. I have no idea the cost. I am trying to domy own research so I do not bother people , But hopefully as I learn I can ive the direction and guidence to others.

Vinny​

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

If you want tangs and triggers or other large fish you will need a 6 foot tank so 150g is the right neighborhood as far as size. :)

In saltwater the larger the tank the easier it is believe it or not. The extra water volume will allow you to have some leeway as far as water parameters. In a smaller tank if something goes wrong the smaller amount of water in the system will cause things to decline quicker than they would in a larger tank.

I would pass on the damsel fish though, nasty little buggers, they will take over a tank and make life miserable for any other fish in there. :)

And yes, in my opinion a sump is superior to a canister filter, especially with a larger tank. On anything 55g or smaller then I would consider either hang on equipment or a canister if a sump will not fit under the tank.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away, there are a TON of great people on here that are always willing to help.

:-D

Excellent information. Thank you. I am in the Charlotte area, where should I look for a tank. craigslist????

Yep, craigslist is the best place to save money. Just keep looking everyday and you will find the perfect deal. I use an app on my phone that alerts me when new items are posted that have my key words. :) I've gotten several obscenely awesome deals thru craigslist.

What you would LIKE the tank to have is:

be drilled, not an overflow box, but actually drilled
a sump, not a wet dry
protein skimmer
pumps/powerheads
decent lighting of you are gonna think about a reef tank.

If you find something listed you can post it here and people will chime in. You want as much as you can get for as little as possible, lol. Saltwater can be expensive when buying new so see what you can get in the initial deal.

I very much appreciate your input and direction. Boy, it can be or get expensive.

Thanks . I hope it does not take long to get these things together. Vinny

I'd mimic what Carey said,...just take your time and get the largest tank that your wallet and placement will allow,... Yeah, it's going to get a little pricey along the way but it's a real trip having a little piece of the ocean in your living room,...as Carey said there's a ton of really great folks here that can guide you along your way no matter what the issue is.
Keep following the threads and before long we'll be asking you for advice. Enjoy the ride!

+1 to getting a big tank. I started with a 29 and moved to a 75. Now I want a 6 footer so that I can have some tangs. The biggest cost if you eventually want to go reef, is going to be your lights. You want at least a 4 bulb t5HO. More bulbs are better and if you can afford LED's they are a great option. Like was said previously, you can post the craigslist deals and we will chime in and let you know if we think they are what you are looking for. Drilled tanks are definately better than using an HOB overflow. Some adds will say "reef ready or RR", that means they are drilled.

I found someone that is selling a 150 Gallon tank (Glass) sitting on a cabinet for 275.00??? Not sure if that is good or not. Nothing else, Just tank and what its sitting on. Not great with Pics maybe I can get him to send me full pics ,,, Vinny

I have a question found someone that is selling a 270 Gallon tank Wow. Crazy big , Selling at what I think is a good price, because it leaks. Where would I go or who can I call to see what the cost would be to Seal this tank. Before I even purchase it ??????????

Vinny

vindeisel1 said:
I have a question found someone that is selling a 270 Gallon tank Wow. Crazy big , Selling at what I think is a good price, because it leaks. Where would I go or who can I call to see what the cost would be to Seal this tank. Before I even purchase it ??????????

Vinny

In order to reseal the glass has to be taken apart all silicone removed and resiliconed. I would pass.

vindeisel1 said:

Vinny

Imo .. Skip this tank.. A leaking tank isnt the way ya want to start off with...., the 125'er would be better.., or even better yet., look for a reef ready tank ( drilled ) take your time and find the right setup first

vindeisel1 said:
thank you so much . I very much appreciate it

And thank you,....it's going to be tough enough just starting from scratch let alone trying to fight outside forces too. :-/

Aint that the truth.. But I am hooked on this site and in this Hobby , Just remind myself to go slow. That is good because there is a Budget that I need to go by... HEHEHE

I guess Golf is now limited HEHEHE

vindeisel1 said:
Aint that the truth.. But I am hooked on this site and in this Hobby , Just remind myself to go slow. That is good because there is a Budget that I need to go by... HEHEHE

I guess Golf is now limited HEHEHE

I think we're all hooked on the hobby and this forum,...after a while you'll get to know everybody and what's what with their setups ,..that's to me is where the real fun begins ,... No one individual has all the answers but as a group there's a good bet somebody does.
I've learned soooo much over the last couple of years and hopefully maybe passed on a little good info too..... Like we stated before there's a lot of good people here,...don't hesitate to bark in on anything,..somebody will chime in and help.

Back
Top Bottom