New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KittyKatFishGrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my Marineland HOB filters died on me so I purchased a Penn-Plax Cascade 1500 for my 55g tank. 1st question - should I insert old filter into new filter to keep the beneficial bacteria going? 2nd question - anyone ever use this brand of canister filter, if so what is your take on it?IMG_1515177557.991909.jpg

Yeah you should use the old filter pad to help establish the new one, and yeah I use the Cascade 500 and it's not bad but it's really annoying to clean because taking the top part off always causes water spills, but it seems to run well, I ordered 1 and ended up with 4 lol

Yeah you should use the old filter pad to help establish the new one, and yeah I use the Cascade 500 and it's not bad but it's really annoying to clean because taking the top part off always causes water spills, but it seems to run well, I ordered 1 and ended up with 4 lol

You come home to any leaks, where equipment stopped working and you entered into a flood a zone? That is my major fear of using an outside filter

Unless it cracks or has a bad seal which is noticeable at the beginning when you prime it because it'll leak then, it won't leak like that because even if it stops pumping the water just sits in the tubing and has no way to overflow

I think it’s overkill on my tank though because the exhaust water flow is so strong with the directional flow extension the water thrashing is very loud and if i use the spray extension there are waaay too many bubbles - I can’t even see my fish.... maybe I can insert a piece of plastic inside to cut the flow in half [emoji848][emoji848] any diy ideas to fx this?

I think it’s overkill on my tank though because the exhaust water flow is so strong with the directional flow extension the water thrashing is very loud and if i use the spray extension there are waaay too many bubbles - I can’t even see my fish.... maybe I can insert a piece of plastic inside to cut the flow in half [emoji848][emoji848] any diy ideas to fx this?

Stick the outflow underneath the water in the tank?

I did some research and discovered that I can turn the open/close valves to control the flow of water.... ??

Unless it cracks or has a bad seal which is noticeable at the beginning when you prime it because it'll leak then, it won't leak like that because even if it stops pumping the water just sits in the tubing and has no way to overflow

Good to know! Thanks a lot - I can relax now lol I was going over and inspecting ever too often lol

Back
Top Bottom