New Filter - Cycle Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I move to a larger tank and I start with a brand new canister filter not using any of the substrates from the old, will the cycle start over or will the organisms from the base, water and live rock attach to the new filter?

If so how long will this take?

Or should I just plan on starting the whole cycle over?

what kind of filter were you using before? what size is the new tank compaired to the old? how much lr are you using? are you going to be adding more lr?

canister filters arnt really known for their biological filtration, so depending on what you were using before you may see a little spike. Since you are using the old substrate and rock you shouldnt see that great of a spike unless you are adding more live rock or more fish. Just be shure not to leave anything out of water for a long period of time. HTH

going from a 30 gallon to a 55 gallon
have an eheim 2213 would go with the same model or one step up
I will be adding some LR at a slow pace
I will also be adding a sump
no new fish will be added right away

I would plan on the tank completely recycling. If you are adding LR or substrate from your old tank the cycling time may be shorter, but it will definitely take some time for the bacteria to colonize the new filter and substrate. If you are adding uncured LR then that will also cause an rise in the ammonia level.

canister filters arnt really known for their biological filtration,

I agree, but this doesn't prevent Eheim and others from mass marketing cannisters that have special 'bio chambers' and special, scientifically designed media with 100 billion times the capacity of bio-balls to fill them. Gee, maybe they'll next come out with LR that can be used for mechanical filtration.

My opinion on cannisters stays the same. Usefull for occasional 'power cleaning', but not as good for constant use.

Usefull for occasional 'power cleaning', but not as good for constant use.

I agree. We use them when we used carry turtles in our store. I have a 100 gallon holding tank in the back, that when fully stocked, had 200+ baby turtles in it. I run two Magnum 350's on it just to keep it clean and I still have to clean the filters and tank once a week.

I am glad we don't carry them any longer. What a pain...

So I have the canister filter, penguin filter "on back" and my protien skimmer, I will be adding a sump to the new tank, this should be enough right?

The tank has 45lbs of live rock
2 coarls
1 flame hawk
2 ocelloris clowns
1 coral banded shrimp
9 mexican turbo snails
8 blue tip hermits
4 scarlet hermits
1 sloth type looking snail thing, "i forget the name"

never had an issue with water quality or the ecosystem being out of wack, do you think that I have enough filtration in the tank for what I have?

I am going to add about 30-40 more lbs of live rock and some more coarls, what are some filter recommendations for a 55 gallon reef setup, or is there a link to a similar topic in here or a general rule. I don't want to buy anything I don't need or setup the new tank wrong.

If you have 70-80 lbs of LR in the tank then I would scrap the eheim and the penguin and go with some good powerheads for flow and the skimmer. The LR will take care of the biofiltration.

I have one PH in there and have two more 402's and one 550, so a sump and a skimmer would be ok then...?

So do I even need the canister filter and the penguin filter on my current tank? Is the protein skimmer, power head and the live rock enough to do the job?

Back
Top Bottom