new fimbriated eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxysaving

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband has had this salt tank for six yrs so I'm not starting off completely new now I just got a new fimbriated eel and added him to the tank so far one of my clown fish has gone missing and he seems to hide all day I'll post pics once he comes out of hiding but I guess my biggest question is is he going to try to go after my porcipine puffrr or my yellow tang as I just added the yellow tang the same day I added the eel I'm a little concerned also I believe I have green hair algae growing will be yellow tang get rid of that or should I invest in something else

Algae is a sign of excess nutrients. If it just showed up after the additions, I'd say it stems from adding 2 large pooping creatures to your tank. How big of a tank is this? Those 2 additions need pretty big tanks...ones that shouldn't cause a nutrient spike by adding them at the same time...

As for the eel eating other tank inhabitants, eels are carnivores. If it can fit in the eel's mouth it'll probably eat it.

And I've had the algae for some time now I got the yellow tang to take care of the ptoblem but it doesn't appaer to interested in it

The best advice I was ever given was that adding an animal to solve a problem in the tank isn't a solution. Even if it solves the issue, you then have to feed and take care of it like you still had the problem!

A yellow tang will most likely not eat your algae away...even if it does, it still poops and the issue will remain in the tank. Tangs also need 6ft of swimming room...which you don't see in this size of tank. Return the tang and save yourself the frustrations.

When I battle hair algae, and I have before and am doing it again as we speak, I look at where my nutrients are being added into the tank. So, where do they come from? They come in from anything that can decompose, normally food, or our water source. If you don't scrub rock well before adding it, rock that was once live can have things decaying inside of it. Not always common, but I made this mistake at one time. Feeding is a major part in this play. Going from flake to frozen foods can be a big change in terms of phosphates. Then cutting back to feeding is also important, most people think fish need to eat as many times a day as we do! I feed my reef tank twice a week, that's it. Haven't lost a fish in a long long time, all fat and happy. Then there is the water. What is in your water? Who knows, really? My water is different from yours and everyone elses. But it is filled with stuff your fish don't want and then feeds your algae issue. Going from tap water to distilled is a help...but even distilled water still can feed algae issues (this is what I battle), but the switch to ro/di water ensures that the water is SO pure that it has 0 TDS, or total dissolved solids. No solids in the water means nothing can feed the algae in your tank! It means other things that are helpful to our systems, but for this conversation the point is stated.

Okay thank you I'm not sure if ill get back to the city anytime soon to return the tang so I'm goin to assume I'm gonna have to deal with his attitude lol I might have to send him to the eye doctor he has a way bigger tank than I do so maybe mr tang will be happier

Just as an fyi, I have a pretty general knowledge of eels and expect them to try to get out of the tank. So I read up real quick on your eel. There are statements that these guys get pretty big, and that they end up eating fish and inverts that are much bigger than their head. Was reading about a 2ft one eating 4-6 inch fish, so it might be even your tang may not be safe.

I just wanted an eel after my snowflake died because their fun to feed I didn't relize this one would be such a problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't mean it will be. Research him some. I'd suggest researching before buying next time so you won't run into the issue of possibly returning both your purchases.

I'm a little concerned also I believe I have green hair algae growing will be yellow tang get rid of that or should I invest in something else

I`m a firm believer that you don't buy livestock to get rid of algae. You find out what is fueling it and cut off the supply.

Back
Top Bottom