new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tell ya...it's hard to get honest answers at LFSs these days. It seems all they care about is making that buck. I guess that is where the extensive research that most of us have done come into play....BTW and FWIW, the tang is not going to be happy in that tank, its just too small for an animal that likes lots of room to swim.

schmilnik said:
Ya thats the right one.

Well then...it will reach 7" by the time its a full grown adult.

I agree with ziggy, that tank is too small and I would bring it back to the LFS.

Ok so how long would I be able to keep him if i did? And how does that work do most LFS let you do that?

Its really not about how big of a fish your tank can hold with tangs, they need a lot of swim room regardless of size IMO.

schmilnik said:
the guy at my LFS said that he will adapt to the tank and not grow to big?
Oh and the water tests wher Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and my PH was at 8.0

Read this post from someone who I considered one of the best. Your fish will not adapt. As a matter of fact he will come down with some type of disease due to lower immune system. Please remember that most LFS are in this to make a profit by selling you something. Sometimes wheather good or bad.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54268&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

That is exactly right Marc...It is in a tangs nature to do A LOT of swimming. Most LFSs will allow you to return a fish or coral and get store credit for it. They should have informed you better about the fish you were buying! Before you buy any more fish go to liveaquaria.com and read a little bit about the fish. That will help you make good choices on what live stock you put in your tank.

I'm no tang expert so I'll let others talk to you about that. But just so some previous comments don't get lost in the discussion...

Check your water frequently, and have a good amount of premixed saltwater ready to go. Adding that much fish at once is probably going to give you an ammonia spike. Watch for it. Hope it doesn't happen, but it's best to be prepared for daily water changes.

And get a different fish store after you've used the credit they give you for taking back that tang! :D

ok thanks and I did have some fish that I had in mind but they only had the wrasse. It seems like every fish store I go to doesnt know what they are talking about they all tell me different things. I went to one and then saw a dead naso tanf at the bottom. So i went to the only other one the area.

np, good luck with the tank! dont forget to research your next purchases.

So we have established it is the blue eyed Kole. Just call your LFS and say after some research I decided my tank is too small and you want to trade him for another fish or store credit. If he does not do it I would not go back. He really gave you some bad advice. You might not want to go back anyway. But to get back on subject Kurt had some good suggestions. I hope it all works out well.

Dont be discourage by this either. It is part of the learning curve that we all had to face at one point or another. I wouldn't give up on the LFS, either one of them, the fact that one had a dead Naso doesn't mean they are a bad LFS, just go in next time with more knowledge. Spend some time doing research on different fish. There are a few websites that have it broken down by tank size....I believe that fantasyreef.com is one of those sites. They also give you a good amount of information on a lot of different fish, inverts and corals. This is a non-stop learning process!!!

I agree that dead fish in a tank does not make a bad fish store. But the store's response to you pointing it out should be taken under consideration, as well as how often it happens. Since just about all fish stores have massive amounts of water circulating through their common tank system, a decaying fish in one tank really won't throw the water parameters off that much. But from a public perception standpoint, if I owned that fish store, I wouldn't want people to see that. Anytime I've pointed out dead fish to a fish store, they've been really embarrassed and removed it on the spot.

As far as the horrible information from that one LFS, the fact that they let him walk out with 4 fish - including a tang - for a 46g tank, all at once, (yes... the LFS should've asked what size tank these were going in to, in my opinion) tells me that customer service is NOT their priority. Maybe it was just a personnel issue and not a management issue - but I doubt it.

ok thanks I will take him back sadly enough he was my favorite... maybe a yellow tang would work out better it says 50min or is this incorrect and I should get tangs out of the picture?

Ya and the other store iwth the dead naso said I could put a clown trigger in my tank which I knew that I couldnt.

Oh and I did tell them I had a 46 gallon.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=7&item_id=15

I think that for a 46g bow you are better to stay away from all tangs. Even though it says a yellow tang can go in a 50g tank they really should be in larger tanks. There are so many options out there for beautiful fish that I'm sure you will be able to create an amazing tank.

ok thanks I just really like the tangs they are such beautiful fish. But it sounds like I will have to wait until I get another larger tank in the future.

I agree, and trust me I feel your pain. I loved tangs so much, I started out with an itty bitty 30gal tank...then I went out and splurged on a 120g to expand my stock list a little bit.

Anyways good luck again, dont forget to have some fun along the way!

Back
Top Bottom