new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I just added my first few fish and they are all hiding is this normal? And if so when will they come out?

It is normal , they are stressed , when adding a new fish it is best to leave the lights out for the day (when we add them it is in the evening just before lights out . I am able to get them in and add the water that I used in drip acclimation with only a minute or 2 to spare then the lights are out ) They need to feel safe in thier new surroundings and will hide till they are sure some big boogie man isnt gonna make them snack . Give them a day or 2 they should be fine .
BTW what kind of fish did you add , how many and what size tank , and are their any other inhibatants in the tank already?

I agree, some fish take a little while to get used to their new home.

hey I cant find the info section I just see where to upload pictures which I will do soon but how do I fill out the info section?

Until then I tell you what I got to start a Blue eye tang, pinkface wrasse I think the guy at the LFS said it was a rainbow wrasse but I think he is wrong, and 2 black clown fish. And my wrasse still hasnt come out and I cant find him its driving me crazy. The tang is hiding but comes out every once in a while and the two clown fish are out and about.

Also I went to one of my LFS and was going to get my fish from them but when I went in to finally get the fish i saw a dead naso tang at the bottom being nipped at. So I told one of the workers and he was like ehh whatever. So thats when I left.

Hmm...never heard of a blue eye tang. I have heard of that name used in confusion with another tang, dont remember what it ended up being though.

What size tank do you have?

Go to the home page and click on "Update your Profile"
What size tank?
How did you acclimate?
What are your water parameters?

Ya I havnt heard of it either but thats what the guy at the LFS said it was?
And I have a 46 gallon bow that finished its cycle a few days ago useing the raw shrimp. Thanks for the help guys!

Hmm that tank is likely to be too small for that tang. How big is the tang?

I would check your water parameters. Adding that many fish to a newly cycled tank could cause problems. It your beneficial bacteria will have to catch up the the much larger bioload.
How did you acclimate?
What are your water parameters?

the tang is small only about 2 inches and all the guys at my LFS said he was perfect to start with and that he wouldnt get much bigger. Im sorry but what is water parameters?

Ive never heard of a tang that stays that small either. Id say about 6" is as small as I have seen for adult length.

the guy at my LFS said that he will adapt to the tank and not grow to big?
Oh and the water tests wher Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and my PH was at 8.0

oh really that seemed kinda strange when he told me that.. I guess Ill keep him till he gets to big.

The Yellow Eyed Kole Tang does have a thin ring of blue around the eye itself along with the thicker yellow border. And I believe as juvies its only blue. Could be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom