New fish - Dead. Just help me feel better.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
New 10 gallon tank with all new water as QT using an established wet/dry filter already cycled.

You would think, happy stress free fish. Mistake. I trusted LFS water testing. LFS said no2 and no3 were near zero levels with water they sold me. I should have made them test it in front of me.

They sold me toxic water.

I told LFS they must credit me back for water and fish. No manager was on staff today, I expect a store credit tomorrow.

I still feel responsible. I should have tested the water my self.

What happened is the fish person dipped a test strip in their water for nitrate/nitrite and never waited more then a few seconds to read it. I went back in and made them re-test their water. They dipped it and said look not toxic. I said wait, put the test strip down, look at it in a minute or two. Yes it changed color to very toxic. The fish person didn't know to wait for the strip to change color.

ALWAYS TEST NEW WATER BEFORE PUTTING IT IN TO THE TANK. The water source can be poluted too before fish ever touch it.

And they tried to blame me for not testing their water.

Sorry for your loss. Every one of them is always a learning experience.

A few things I don't understand though. Are you talking about buying new salt water from the LFS to fill the 10g tank? Or are you talking about the water that came with the fish?

If it's the water that came with the fish, that water shouldn't go into your QT tank anyway. But if you mean new salt water... I'm not sure how they'd get nitrIte in that water to start with? They weren't selling water out of their display tanks, were they?

2 stores near me will sell you DI water from their RO/DI unit. That I understand getting if it's not worth you getting a unit yourself.

Did they sell you water out of the filtration system for the tanks themselves?
Or was this some kind of salt water premix ready for the aquarium?

P.S. Sorry about the fish. Stores with poor customer relations don't usually stay in business for long.

Back
Top Bottom