Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

new fish dying and lime green algae already

My new 75 gallon is cycling with new saltwater. Everything seems ok, salt is good, temp, a little ammonia because its new, no nitrates, no nitrites yet, ph is around 8.0.

I have some bright lime green on the edges of the tank and some shells, believe it is green algae. Can I add a cleaner fish or a cleaner shrimp to help out?

4 out of my 9 damsels have died already, trouble breathing, turning white. I also have a hermit that is very happy.

I heard this is 'normal' for my new tank.

Any advice?

(and yes I know i should have cycled and matured my tank with the raw fish..sorry)

Old 07-15-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to hemichris
one thing is u should put ur fish in ur tank until its completly cycled. If not good way to lose money on fish. Yes ur best bet is to throw in a cleaner shrimp they can take the water better than fish

Old 07-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Your tank is not even well into the process of cycing yet. It will be about a month before it is ready for any living thing.

As far as it being "normal"...yeah, ammonia poisoning kills fish. The only thing to do now to keep them alive would be to do water changes daily to keep the toxic levels low enough where it doesnt kill them. This will also prolong the cycle.

I would also advise looking for a new store to shop at if they suggested that the killing of those fish was to be expected and still sold them to you. (maybe I misunderstood the situation). Fishless cycling has been around for a LONG time. Stores, or anyone, that advocates the suffering of a live creature when there is a much cheaper and surer alternative, really needs to seek professional help IMO.

as far as your livestock question, a cleaner shrimp won't live a day in toxic water. the crab is a tough creature, but even its ability to live in an ammonia environment is limited.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like normal cycling woes. Your best bet is to return all livsetock to the LFS finish your cycle using the fishless method. Trust me, it will be faster and it is not cruel on the fish. I agree with Hara...time to find a new LFS. This one has proven to give very bad advice on more then just this topic.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
I would also advise looking for a new store to shop at if they suggested that the killing of those fish was to be expected and still sold them to you. (maybe I misunderstood the situation). Fishless cycling has been around for a LONG time. Stores, or anyone, that advocates the suffering of a live creature when there is a much cheaper and surer alternative, really needs to seek professional help IMO.
I agree with Mrs Hara as these LFS are out to make a dollar at any cost. Please read up on a fishless cycle so if you have to do it again you can do it the humane way.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to several LFS and every one of them told me to use damsels. They did tell me that several would die. They also said to bring in a water sample in a month to see if the cycle is going well.

I also did extensive research in books and online about the damsels. I just want to know if my tank is normal and wanted to know about the algae and how to get rid of it. I do not feel like I am being inhumane for subjecting my 8 fish to the toxic water. That was not my intent. I just follwowed many people's advice and wanted to let my tank mature this way.

Sorrry...
Old 07-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyclv
I do not feel like I am being inhumane for subjecting my 8 fish to the toxic water. That was not my intent. I just follwowed many people's advice and wanted to let my tank mature this way.

Sorrry...
Well it is inhumane and totally unnecessary... It's not your fault, but you should follow the advice you have been given here and return the remaining fish and continue with a fishless cycle
Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
I do not feel like I am being inhumane for subjecting my 8 fish to the toxic water.
Please explain how it is not...

You cannot base your "cycle progress" on once a month testing. Once a week...maybe. We need a photo to ID the algae. Diatoms, which are brown, are normal in a cycle, green algae is not. It could be cyano. Hard to say without a picture.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyclv
I am going to several LFS and every one of them told me to use damsels. .
The purpose of the LFS is to sell and make a profit and make a living. Selling damsels to unsuspecting customers that wont make it through the cycle is part of that purpose.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh man,
I just went on here to ask a question and get some friendly advice??

I didn't 'BUY' my damsels. My $3.00 fish were given to me from my owner/friend who ownes the store because I got my tank and supplies. My goodnesss..some people are not all evil and have different motives than you think. He didn't make any cash off of my several fish. All of my friends that have tanks have used this method and I followed their advice, plus the books and articles I have found in many bookstores and websites.

I guess all of you are inhumane that eat meat, wear leather, or kill that little bug that crawls in your house too.... ???

Anyways.....

I cant sent a pic because my pc is broken and I am at work. The algea is lime green in color, bright lime green.

Tags
algae, dyi, dying, fish dying, green algae, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com