new fish dying and lime green algae already

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new 75 gallon is cycling with new saltwater. Everything seems ok, salt is good, temp, a little ammonia because its new, no nitrates, no nitrites yet, ph is around 8.0.

I have some bright lime green on the edges of the tank and some shells, believe it is green algae. Can I add a cleaner fish or a cleaner shrimp to help out?

4 out of my 9 damsels have died already, trouble breathing, turning white. I also have a hermit that is very happy.

I heard this is 'normal' for my new tank.

Any advice?

(and yes I know i should have cycled and matured my tank with the raw fish..sorry)

one thing is u should put ur fish in ur tank until its completly cycled. If not good way to lose money on fish. Yes ur best bet is to throw in a cleaner shrimp they can take the water better than fish

Your tank is not even well into the process of cycing yet. It will be about a month before it is ready for any living thing.

As far as it being "normal"...yeah, ammonia poisoning kills fish. The only thing to do now to keep them alive would be to do water changes daily to keep the toxic levels low enough where it doesnt kill them. This will also prolong the cycle.

I would also advise looking for a new store to shop at if they suggested that the killing of those fish was to be expected and still sold them to you. (maybe I misunderstood the situation). Fishless cycling has been around for a LONG time. Stores, or anyone, that advocates the suffering of a live creature when there is a much cheaper and surer alternative, really needs to seek professional help IMO.

as far as your livestock question, a cleaner shrimp won't live a day in toxic water. the crab is a tough creature, but even its ability to live in an ammonia environment is limited.

Sounds like normal cycling woes. Your best bet is to return all livsetock to the LFS finish your cycle using the fishless method. Trust me, it will be faster and it is not cruel on the fish. I agree with Hara...time to find a new LFS. This one has proven to give very bad advice on more then just this topic.

Hara said:
I would also advise looking for a new store to shop at if they suggested that the killing of those fish was to be expected and still sold them to you. (maybe I misunderstood the situation). Fishless cycling has been around for a LONG time. Stores, or anyone, that advocates the suffering of a live creature when there is a much cheaper and surer alternative, really needs to seek professional help IMO.

I agree with Mrs Hara as these LFS are out to make a dollar at any cost. Please read up on a fishless cycle so if you have to do it again you can do it the humane way.

I am going to several LFS and every one of them told me to use damsels. They did tell me that several would die. They also said to bring in a water sample in a month to see if the cycle is going well.

I also did extensive research in books and online about the damsels. I just want to know if my tank is normal and wanted to know about the algae and how to get rid of it. I do not feel like I am being inhumane for subjecting my 8 fish to the toxic water. That was not my intent. I just follwowed many people's advice and wanted to let my tank mature this way.

Sorrry...

courtneyclv said:
I do not feel like I am being inhumane for subjecting my 8 fish to the toxic water. That was not my intent. I just follwowed many people's advice and wanted to let my tank mature this way.

Sorrry...

Well it is inhumane and totally unnecessary... It's not your fault, but you should follow the advice you have been given here and return the remaining fish and continue with a fishless cycle

I do not feel like I am being inhumane for subjecting my 8 fish to the toxic water.

Please explain how it is not...

You cannot base your "cycle progress" on once a month testing. Once a week...maybe. We need a photo to ID the algae. Diatoms, which are brown, are normal in a cycle, green algae is not. It could be cyano. Hard to say without a picture.

courtneyclv said:
I am going to several LFS and every one of them told me to use damsels. .

The purpose of the LFS is to sell and make a profit and make a living. Selling damsels to unsuspecting customers that wont make it through the cycle is part of that purpose.

Oh man,
I just went on here to ask a question and get some friendly advice??

I didn't 'BUY' my damsels. My $3.00 fish were given to me from my owner/friend who ownes the store because I got my tank and supplies. My goodnesss..some people are not all evil and have different motives than you think. He didn't make any cash off of my several fish. All of my friends that have tanks have used this method and I followed their advice, plus the books and articles I have found in many bookstores and websites.

I guess all of you are inhumane that eat meat, wear leather, or kill that little bug that crawls in your house too.... ???

Anyways.....

I cant sent a pic because my pc is broken and I am at work. The algea is lime green in color, bright lime green.

using fish the cycle the tank is the "Old School" way.. People now like to use a shrimp from the supermarket and toss that into the tank till it decays causing the cycle to start.
Lets not drag this using fish to cycle the tank issue on and on.
The point was made and beating courtney up over it will not do anything at this point.
Is the algae slimmy to the touch? does it have air bubbles trapped in it? Does it look like hair?
What type of water are you using? Have the LFS test for phosphates.

The point was made and beating courtney up over it will not do anything at this point.

I agree. I was lucky to have a LFS that said not to cycle w/fish.

courtneyclv, I know you are very sorry, but hang in there! To answer your questions. The algae is ugly, but, if it were me, I would not add a cleaner shrimp, yet. Your tank is still toxic and he might not make it.
You can scrape the algea off the sides.

I have some bright lime green
This sounds like coraline...? Is it hard to scrape off? If you don't like the look, you can scrape it off, with no problems....

Thank you guys! I feel much better.

:) :) :) :)

Yes, I will just try to scrape it. The LFS said to do a 10percent water change and not to get a cleaner shrimp just yet.

I have the tank right in front of a big window. The sides of the tank are covered in paper, the ends arent. It doesnt get direct sunlight but a TON of light. The room is big and airy that it is in. So I will cover the edges with paper, do the scrapping and I am sure my algae will be fixed for the time being.

When my tank matures I will get a tang and shimpy to help clean the tank.

Just so you know a Cleaner Shrimp is for the fish not the tank, they clean parasites off the fish.
They will eat left over food but they will not eat algae.
And Tangs are hit and miss with certain algaes.

That window light may continue to give you problems w/algae.

Lets not drag this using fish to cycle the tank issue on and on.

Excellent point IMO. And get a phosphate test also like recommended. Do you have a test kit? I'd recommend you watch you own ammonia and nitrites in order to better gauge how often you need to change that water. As nitrites haven't even gone up yet, you are some time away from completing a cycle.

I'd get your rock and sand in place now if you haven't already. Take the damsels back to the store and throw in the grocery store raw shrimp. Use the test kit and watch those two every 3 days or so. Besides, IF the damsels live, they'll most likely terrorize new additions later anyway and cause you more problems. After the nitrites rise and get back to zero, you can begin to add a small cleanup crew and fish (slowly).

Back
Top Bottom