New Fish - First In My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I tested my ammonia and it was acceptable. I had a piece of shrimp in there for 3 days and it never did spike past 2 on the test. So I went to my local fish store where I sold them my pleco from my FW setup. I had store credit so I went to use it up on my first fish.

I bought two damsels I think but then again they look more purple now. The fish store owner really made me angry. She had a tank with 1-2 pacu's and 7 damsels. She explained that the damsels were blue and the pacu's were purple. So I told her I wanted the pacu's because they looked healthier. (Fins weren't chewed up like all the damsels) I got in the car and drove down a block.... Woah I had one bright blue fish and one dark purple. I drove back immediately and asked to change the fish to be the same species. I even specifically asked for the pacu's without the knipped fins. She said thats what she was going for... well one of them in the bag looked horrible. She caught them while I was helping other customers with their questions on aquariums.

So anyway I go back in and she has a total attitude with me of 'pssss!' I almost could hear her mumble under her breath. So anyway she dumped them back in the tank and I told her I wanted two pacu's. She said that she only had one so she put a damsel and pacu together in the back and rang them up as 'pacu's' which were 2 dollars more each. We got into this whole argument that she said that there were no other purple ones. I KNOW I'm not colorblind and there were several purple fish in the tank that had perfect fins. So I told her I would pick them out by pointing and she would pull them out. She pulled them out and I went home. Both fish were a beautiful purple body with a yellow tail. When I got home I put them in a bowl and noticed one was now a bright blue color and the other was a dark purple. I ran a trickle drop on them for 2 hours and doubled the volume of water that was originally in the bag.

I've added the fish and they seem to be doing well. They love swimming through my live rock. :) I can't help but stare at them in awe. My first saltwater tank.

Now they both look a dark purple but occasionally when they turn at a certain angle they look like a blue color.

Are these pacu's are damsels'? They're basically from the same species family from what I understand.

Anyway I do know I WILL NOT be going back to that LFS. They overcharged me by 4 dollars. I also know they don't know what she is talking about because I asked her specifically how she 'acclimated' her saltwater fish. She said... ummm umm... So I asked her if you let the float for 20 minutes then add 1/2 cup water every 15 minutes for an hour. She said... oh.. yeah.. thats what we usually do. Even when I bought my pleco in for trade in credit she just dumped him in the tank. He survived just fine but I'm sure that was a real shock to the system.

I'm just SO irritated at this LFS. The next closest place is 1/2 an hour away and totally rocks. He helped me get my tank started and pulled everything I need to start SW. Even sold me live rock 2-3 dollars under his 'normal' price. I'll be driving there from now on!

You said you only tested for ammonia. Did you test for nitrite and nitrate?

Watch them closely for ailments, your LFS sounds like a mess.
Pacu,s are probably damsels if they are cheap.
I know you are excited about your first fish :) , but consider a qt for additional additions.
Good luck!!

Roger that Quarry.. yes.. I've tested everyththing...

salinity 1.023
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Temp-80F

Oh.. that Roger That habit comes from playing too much battlefield 1942.
I guess you guys have met a gaming fish freak that leads a band.

The fish were 11 dollars each. Purple/Blue Body with a yellow underbelly and yellow tail.

Oh the QT thing... I've heard you can also skip the QT by doing a freshwater dip. Same Temp/pH as the salt tank. That will remove any parasites... what do you guys think of that?

I'm going to go for a couple of clowns next on my list. What do you guys recommend for cleaning... Shrimp or Snails?

I've heard you can also skip the QT by doing a freshwater dip
Not very effective against parasites. Many LFS's use them. Decent tool (for certain things), but what they don't tell you is that they also run copper in their systems. Even after that, parasites still get though their system.
Take it from the crowd (myself included) that "skipped" qt. The lack of, can wipe you out quicker than you will believe.

I'm going to go for a couple of clowns next on my list
Also, (i know its hard) slow down. Take your time. You will last longer in this hobby by taking your time. :wink:

I don't think she knew what she was talking about because they look identical to the damsels I've seen before. Man I hate it when people with little saltwater knowledge sell fish. I don't know much and it is misleading to me for them just to get a sale.

That can be a problem with some lfs. They are in the business to sell, and most people with little knowledge fall into their trap all the time and end up getting out of the hobby. Is there another lfs you can shop at in your area?

Mike

noteworthy said:
Both fish were a beautiful purple body with a yellow tail.

Now they both look a dark purple but occasionally when they turn at a certain angle they look like a blue color.

I have 2 yellow tail damsels in my tank, and one has always looked somewhat purple. I just skimmed through this thread, so someone might have said this already, but I think they might just be damsels.

Its amazing what LFS's will call animals. I have yet to see one call a scooter blenny a dragonet.
Big difference between a blenny and a dragonet.

All they really have to do is read some of the books they have on their shelves. It's even free to read. :D

Mike

Back
Top Bottom