New fish hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since he has new fish in there and they can be skittish I would say in a couple days start doing more water changes. He already did a good sized amount and if he does say 3 more of those he should be down into an acceptable range on nitrates.

As far as feeding, I happen to feed everyday, which is not entirely necessary. Many people will skip a day or even two and feed very sparingly. It does make the parameters hold up longer and there will be no ill effects to the fish. :)
I LOVE to feed my fish, I even feed more than just once in a day. BUT I will drop say 10 tiny tiny pellets in and watch the fish eat them all. I dont throw a hand full in and walk away. lol I make sure every bit of food is eaten. I feed frozen rinsed mysis, brine and bloodworms every other day usually. In addition to pellets I feed flake to my 180g since I have some smaller fish in there like chromis and the blennies.
The trick is to feed a varied diet in moderation. When people see my fish the usual first remark is that they are fat. lol Whether healthy or not I do not know, but it makes me feel good that my fish are fat, kinda makes me feel like I am doing a good job.
And finally, I do HUGE water changes on my tanks. Sometimes more than 50%, depending on the tank. That is how I think I manage to keep my tanks ok with the amount of food I put in. I also run good skimmers which pull ALOT of organics from the water.

I am down to 40 ppm Nitrates. Ammonia and nitrite are still 0. The reason I asked about how often to feed was I have seen and read that you should feed Chromis several times a day. I did remove uneaten food once I saw they weren't going after it anymore.
I am going to wait on the wc until this weekend unless the Nitrates go back up. I hope to post pics soon.
I am currently quarantining them and just want to make sure they are eating well before I medicate if necessary.
I will start feeding a variety when I can order it. The frozen brine shrimp is all the lfs had. I think I will start feeding ever other day to keep Nitrates down. So far they look healthy and are eating well but it's only been 3 days.
Thanks again for your help and advice. It has helped a great deal!
Just as a side note,I am a she not a he. :)

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Everything is still good. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and Nitrates are staying around 40 ppm. There is food or something stuck on the bottom and I am inclined to leave it alone as long as the levels are good. I am wondering if anyone uses garlic with fish food for keeping ick at bay.I was going to get some fish food with garlic. They are eating well so that would be it's only purpose. Is it preventative or just snake oil?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It can help keep your fish healthy, i occassionally add it to my frozen food. Stinks, but hey worth a shot right? lol

It's been over a week and my fish are happy and swimming. They all look good and I now test the water before a wc. I still use a Baxter to clean out the floates and left over food. Still haven't medicated because I don't see the need. I did have a couple questions though, how do you know if your fish worms and how long does it take to manifest?
I just want to Thank you again for all your help and advice. I don't think my fish would be alive right now without it. I also believe I would have given up so Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glad to hear the fish are doing well! Thats great news. As far as "worms" I have no idea. lol Usually sickness will show itself in a few weeks so just observe and watch. 9 times out of 10 the fish will be fine so nothing more will need to be done.

Just did a 25% wc. My Nitrates are between 10 and 20 ppm. I still have 2 fish It's been 3 weeks. One casualty though unfortunate I count myself lucky. Next I will prepare dt. So excited! I just need to make sure it's cycled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom