Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New fish hiding

I got 3 green Chromis and put them in around 3 pm and it is now 5:30pm. They have only come out of hiding for a little while only to hide again. I still don't have the lights on but I am very concerned. I had to put them in the water almost right away due to a leaky bag. I wanted to get the salinity right because it did not match the 1.019 they were accustomed to. I checked my salinity and it was 1.010. I have added saltwater but still no change. Have I killed my fish?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aclimate ing fish an absolute must! Dripping water into the bag or a pail for as much as 3 hours is vital for the fish to adjust, not only to salinity but nutrients and temperature!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-09-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If the lights are out then they think its sleepy time.

As soon as the lights go out in my tank the dozen or so chromis I have dive for corners and hide. lol

In the future you prob should have checked the parameters including salinity before the fish went in. Fish can adapt to lower salinity shifts better than an increase so in my opinion you should be ok.
If in the future the bag leaks, just put the fish and water from the bag into a small bucket and acclimate in there. thats how I do mine, and have been for years. Its' also easier to scoop fish outta bucket and not a bag.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
If the lights are out then they think its sleepy time.

As soon as the lights go out in my tank the dozen or so chromis I have dive for corners and hide. lol

In the future you prob should have checked the parameters including salinity before the fish went in. Fish can adapt to lower salinity shifts better than an increase so in my opinion you should be ok.
If in the future the bag leaks, just put the fish and water from the bag into a small bucket and acclimate in there. thats how I do mine, and have been for years. Its' also easier to scoop fish outta bucket and not a bag.
I panicked. I have learned my lesson. Next fish I will breathe and act rationally.Your suggestion about putting them in a separate bucket is what I should have done had I stopped and thought before acting. Now I must wait and see. I don't have tank lights on them yet just my living tomorrow lights on. They are not swimming all over the tank just one side near one of my sponge filters.
As for the parameters, I had checked them but I know I should have rechecked just to be sure. I checked them before I did the wc yesterday but I do not believe I did after.
I guess I was thinking while I floated the bag I would check the parameters and I wouldn't have to make any major adjustments before acclimating them. I know better now...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-10-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check their breathing tomorrow, when I made this same mistake the fish was breathing very fast and in the end did die

Old 01-10-2015, 02:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Agree about the acclimation, but it is also 100% normal for new fish to hide. Some will stay in hiding for a month or more before they start coming out.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelix10 View Post
Check their breathing tomorrow, when I made this same mistake the fish was breathing very fast and in the end did die

I have been watching their breathing and their movements and trying not to hover but I just want everything to be ok despite my mistake ...Thank you for your advice.I was so excited that my tank was cycled I lost all I'd learned from research and reading the posts here...I forgot some advice:Be patient and make sure your tank is cycled and all your parameters are good before you add fish. I think I was in to much of a hurry once I got the fish home...It didn't help that my dog had made a nice little mess while we were out.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, you live and learn. Glad you now know how to go about things and I bet you wont make the same mistake again. Just let the fishies be for a bit, like mentioned above they tend to hide in the beginning anyways so you likely didnt cause any issues, probably scared yourself more than them. lol
Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Well, you live and learn. Glad you now know how to go about things and I bet you wont make the same mistake again. Just let the fishies be for a bit, like mentioned above they tend to hide in the beginning anyways so you likely didnt cause any issues, probably scared yourself more than them. lol
Thank you! I am in bed but was just about to check on them again. I will wait until morning and test parameters again. Do you this think it's ok to turn on the lights?

Old 01-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I generally will turn on the lights the next day, gives the fish some time to adjust overnight. Just as long as they have places to dart into should they feel threatened or scared you should be ok.

Tags
fish, hiding, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com