New fish hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got 3 green Chromis and put them in around 3 pm and it is now 5:30pm. They have only come out of hiding for a little while only to hide again. I still don't have the lights on but I am very concerned. I had to put them in the water almost right away due to a leaky bag. I wanted to get the salinity right because it did not match the 1.019 they were accustomed to. I checked my salinity and it was 1.010. I have added saltwater but still no change. Have I killed my fish?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aclimate ing fish an absolute must! Dripping water into the bag or a pail for as much as 3 hours is vital for the fish to adjust, not only to salinity but nutrients and temperature!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the lights are out then they think its sleepy time. :)

As soon as the lights go out in my tank the dozen or so chromis I have dive for corners and hide. lol

In the future you prob should have checked the parameters including salinity before the fish went in. Fish can adapt to lower salinity shifts better than an increase so in my opinion you should be ok.
If in the future the bag leaks, just put the fish and water from the bag into a small bucket and acclimate in there. thats how I do mine, and have been for years. Its' also easier to scoop fish outta bucket and not a bag.

If the lights are out then they think its sleepy time. :)

As soon as the lights go out in my tank the dozen or so chromis I have dive for corners and hide. lol

In the future you prob should have checked the parameters including salinity before the fish went in. Fish can adapt to lower salinity shifts better than an increase so in my opinion you should be ok.
If in the future the bag leaks, just put the fish and water from the bag into a small bucket and acclimate in there. thats how I do mine, and have been for years. Its' also easier to scoop fish outta bucket and not a bag.

I panicked. I have learned my lesson. Next fish I will breathe and act rationally.Your suggestion about putting them in a separate bucket is what I should have done had I stopped and thought before acting. Now I must wait and see. I don't have tank lights on them yet just my living tomorrow lights on. They are not swimming all over the tank just one side near one of my sponge filters.
As for the parameters, I had checked them but I know I should have rechecked just to be sure. I checked them before I did the wc yesterday but I do not believe I did after.
I guess I was thinking while I floated the bag I would check the parameters and I wouldn't have to make any major adjustments before acclimating them. I know better now...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check their breathing tomorrow, when I made this same mistake the fish was breathing very fast and in the end did die:(

Agree about the acclimation, but it is also 100% normal for new fish to hide. Some will stay in hiding for a month or more before they start coming out.

Check their breathing tomorrow, when I made this same mistake the fish was breathing very fast and in the end did die:(

I have been watching their breathing and their movements and trying not to hover but I just want everything to be ok despite my mistake ...Thank you for your advice.I was so excited that my tank was cycled I lost all I'd learned from research and reading the posts here...I forgot some advice:Be patient and make sure your tank is cycled and all your parameters are good before you add fish. I think I was in to much of a hurry once I got the fish home...It didn't help that my dog had made a nice little mess while we were out.

Well, you live and learn. :) Glad you now know how to go about things and I bet you wont make the same mistake again. Just let the fishies be for a bit, like mentioned above they tend to hide in the beginning anyways so you likely didnt cause any issues, probably scared yourself more than them. lol

Well, you live and learn. :) Glad you now know how to go about things and I bet you wont make the same mistake again. Just let the fishies be for a bit, like mentioned above they tend to hide in the beginning anyways so you likely didnt cause any issues, probably scared yourself more than them. lol

Thank you! I am in bed but was just about to check on them again. I will wait until morning and test parameters again. Do you this think it's ok to turn on the lights?

I generally will turn on the lights the next day, gives the fish some time to adjust overnight. :) Just as long as they have places to dart into should they feel threatened or scared you should be ok.

Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 but Nitrate is reading at 160! Salinity is steady at 1.010 did a 25% wc.I didn't a 50% because I didn't want the Nitrate level to drop to quickly. Should I do a 50% wc anyway?

I would do another larger water change, like 50% tomorrow. I would also adjust the salinity up to 1.023-1.025 where it belongs.

Is your salinity usually that low?

Carey,I saw your post after my update. Thank you for your advice and encouragement I really appreciate it! They seem to be doing fine..I just Ned to get the Nitrates under control.

I plan to slowly bring up the salinity. To be honest I am not really sure how it got down to 1.010. I did a couple wc to bring down the Nitrate levels with distilled water and added an additional gallon to fill it some but not quite to the top. I did have it at 1.019 knowing that the lfs kept their tanks at 1.019.

Glad the new guys are doing well. :)

You will want to take it slowly bringing the salinity up, my thought is to add salted water instead of regular water for your top offs for the next week or so. This will slowly raise it up. Do you use a refractometer or a hydrometer (swing arm) to measure the salt levels?

I am using a refractometer.I am concerned that it was not calibrated correctly because when I tested new sw it tested at 1.030.I use Instant Ocean 1 g of distilled water to a half cup of salt. I had my husband calibrate it with distilled because he wasn't sure how to use calibration fluid. It didn't come with instructions. I have 2 refractometers and they came back with the same readings.
I also was wondering how often you feed your fish and how much. I am feeding thawed frozen brine shrimp rinsed and soaked in their sw but unsure how much to feed. So far there has been little left over to be removed.
Thanks again Carey! You have been a great help. :)

DAY 2
I did a 50% wc. Fish are doing well. The parameter are good. No Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate between 80 and 160 ppm. The salinity is about 1.017 since the wc using sw. I will test again tomorrow. A wc in a week. I have been feeding them thawed brine shrimp once a day.
I also checked my my refractometer and it is calibrated so I am good there.
How often do you test your water?

Your nitrates are way high, probably from feeding daily. I only feed my reef tank every 3 days. Keep up with the 50% water changes to get those nitrates down under 40 as you raise your salinity.

I would do another WC sooner than once a week with your nitrates that high. Until they're down anyway.

Back
Top Bottom